2000 Tahoe stereo not working/cuts out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
atobin

atobin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The stereo works fine some of the time, then no sound, it stops. The head unit, or stereo appears to function still, I can change stations, eject a CD, power it on and off, clock works, just no sound. I will forget it's still on and intermittently sound will come back on for a period of time.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an amp problem then. It’s unlikely an output from the head unit or only one channel would cut in and out, not all the speakers.

OP
OP
atobin

atobin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I was going to check all those connections, and like Tonyrodz suggested, put up a junk yard amp to try after that. I've heard of amp bypass cables, but would like to keep an amp in the system.

07yukonguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the power supply wire to the amp was warn through. My truck is 2007 and the wire was under the fuse box under the hood. It was chafing on a metal brace. I would check for power and trace the wires back.

OP
OP
atobin

atobin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the power supply wire to the amp was warn through. My truck is 2007 and the wire was under the fuse box under the hood. It was chafing on a metal brace. I would check for power and trace the wires back.

Thanks, I'll run that one down.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, be sure that your power wire to the amp is in good shape.

If the power to the amp is solid and consistent, then the amp is suspect. Intermittently going on and off may be the result of something overheating in the amp, and the amp shutting down for safety reasons, until it cools down.

OP
OP
atobin

atobin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, be sure that your power wire to the amp is in good shape.

If the power to the amp is solid and consistent, then the amp is suspect. Intermittently going on and off may be the result of something overheating in the amp, and the amp shutting down for safety reasons, until it cools down.

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking at that in the next day or so.

Nice Yukon by the way.

Jodi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe, bought it at an auction with an aftermarket system already installed, professionally based on receipts I found in the truck. When I start the truck sometimes it comes on and sometimes it does'nt. If its on, I could stop and run into a convienence store come back out and it wont come on. checked all radio connection, they seemed fine. don't know if related, but now I have had one electrical issue after another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160