2000-2006 exterior LED bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Along with @HiHoeSilver I installed the LEDs in the thread below in my 2004's DRLs and reverse lights. They work great with no issues, but note that the color temperature is rather high and they display much whiter than the incandescent bulbs.

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
I’ve been through this a time or two on these gmt800 trucks. Drl can be switched without issues as has been stated. Turn signals will hyperflash when the resistance gets too low by swapping out incandescent for led. You can resolve this by replacing the stock flasher relay for one designed for led. I believe it’s the stock relay from 2007+.

As for the rear tail/brake lights, i have not been able to find a proper resistored led to swap in. So cruise control will not work properly and the brake light switch will start to act up where the brake lights will not light up 100% off the time you push the brake pedal - dangerous safety issue. The only successful way I’ve been able to make the tail/brake light leds with ID with an external inline resistor (be sure to attach to metal as they generate a lot of heat). As for changing out individuals and part numbers, I’ll leave that to the others who already posted.
Just my $.02.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been through this a time or two on these gmt800 trucks. Drl can be switched without issues as has been stated. Turn signals will hyperflash when the resistance gets too low by swapping out incandescent for led. You can resolve this by replacing the stock flasher relay for one designed for led. I believe it’s the stock relay from 2007+.

As for the rear tail/brake lights, i have not been able to find a proper resistored led to swap in. So cruise control will not work properly and the brake light switch will start to act up where the brake lights will not light up 100% off the time you push the brake pedal - dangerous safety issue. The only successful way I’ve been able to make the tail/brake light leds with ID with an external inline resistor (be sure to attach to metal as they generate a lot of heat). As for changing out individuals and part numbers, I’ll leave that to the others who already posted.
Just my $.02.
This pretty much covers it right here.^^^
The hyper flash and cruise control issues are well documented here. The issue with the main brake lights isn’t mentioned much but I had that issue after swapping in FRONT led turn signal bulbs- all my other bulbs had bern replaced with zero issues, and the rear housings were Spyder LED housings. Then one day I was driving and somebody pulled beside me and said only my third brake light was working. I swapped regular bulbs back in the front turns, brake lights worked again. I ended up adding load resistors to the front bulbs in the park light circuit. It seems the brake lights and park lights are the same circuit, I believe the brake light circuit adds current or voltage to the park light circuit in the rear. That’s how they get a 2- filament bulb to work for both turn, park, and brake light circuits. Sorry for the long post but this one had me scratching my head for awhile.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PO had already installed small LEDs on my front corner signals. I haven't dug in to see what the did for adding resistors or changing relays, but the front corners light up and alternate with the front turn signals (which are still yellow incandescent bulbs), as they should. I am not in any rush to wasp out rear tail light assemblies for LED just yet. I need a radio upgrade to get hands-free/bluetooth and new tires in spring. Some things have higher priorities and radio is one of them!

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED tail light aka stop light will disable your cruise control. I have a thread up on this. Any flashing bulb will also do wacky stuff if you switch to LED, hyperflash. I use basic incandescent for everything except hi and lo bean headlight, reverse backup light, and center high stop light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon