2000-06 GM antenna shave mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonTiffany1

Reaction score
I had to poke around ebay for a part number, but it does exist. The RH cowl vent that came standard on the Escalades and Escalade ESV's (not EXT for some reason) had no antenna hole. Now many mods of this nature suggest repositioning the antenna inside the hood so as to not lose reception, and nothing else. I have gone TWO steps further.

First off, many parts sites will have discontinued the antenna-less cowl vent (GM part no. 15287179), but one site that I have been incredibly pleased with that still has it is GMPartsGiant.com. One on there goes for $22 and change. You can get it even cheaper if you pluck one from an Escalade at a local pick-a-part. Unscrew the stock antenna by hand, or take a 7mm or 8mm open-end wrench and loosen it up that way. Once it is removed, you can remove the stock vent. The old vent literally snaps out and pop the new one back on. At this point, you are ready for the interior portion of the mod.

Many of you will ask "how will i be able to retain my good reception without the stock antenna?" The answer to which I found on LMC truck. Search part number 38-1145 and you will find the Amplified HIDE AWAY antenna. Two wires run into the back of your head unit, one plugs into the antenna port on the head unit, and the other, using a scotch lock, fasten to the positive switched orange wire. The antenna uses active magnetic field circuitry so you can wind it up and leave it behind your head unit, or using the supplied magnets, run up your A-pillar (wire is 105") and along side the roof rack.

Let me know how you make out!

Jon

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my stock antenna running under the hood on the passenger side. No noticeable difference.

Not as clean under the hood though.

OP
OP
J

JonTiffany1

Reaction score
Great additional info

Thank you. I work tech support so I always aim to please lol

Jon

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

I have my stock antenna running under the hood on the passenger side. No noticeable difference.

Not as clean under the hood though.

I tried running the antenna under the hood as well on my Avalanche. I dont know if it was just the way I was doing it, but there was almost no slack on the antenna wire to position 90 degrees forward, and then zip tying in place was a pain. If you tied it in the wrong spot, your hood would crush it. That was the first mod I made preparations to reverse while doing it lol.

Jon

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll be doing this soon. Can't stand the Damn antenna. Its always in the way when I need to clean that passenger side of my windshield haha. So I'll be ordering that part. Out of curiosity, do I need to replace the black piece under my wipers with one from an esky that doesn't have the hole? My local junkyards here in socal don't ever bring in eskys so I'd have to order it online and I'm not too interested in replacing that piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeterF