1999 Tahoe (old style) power door lock problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluemuscle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
maybe this will help?....A while back my door locks stopped working on my 97 Tahoe. It was a blown fuse, which was caused by the dashboard cigarette lighter. Every time i pushed it in, it would blow the fuse. So i stopped using the lighter and just replaced the fuse. haven't investigate why it is doing that yet!

cig lighter went out and so did power locks they are definitely connected to same fuse once again why not have a separate fuse for this .. thanks for commenting

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

If your cigarette lighter does not work or blown fuse they are connected ..

douglasdouglasj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
passenger side only...

My problem is a little different. My tahoe is 4 door, and the other day I went to unlock the doors at the inside switch, but at the same time my girlfriend in the passenger seat was trying to open the door. Ever since then the lock refuses to work, I push on the passenger side manual lever, and its stuck in the open position... Only problem is its actually locked! The other problem is the key wont open the door either (it hasnt been able to long before the lock stopped working), so I have no way of taking the door panel off. I took off the handle bezel on the inside, and was able to barely reach the rod that attaches to the lock lever, and it wont budge. I do hear a relay click when i try the power lock switch, and all the other 3 locks operate. Ideas?

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 95 4 door. Power windows all worked, but no door lock switch.
Circuit breaker 30A silver unit in the fuse box was fine.. I thought I had issues with wiring.
Turns out (like others mentioned) it was the 20A fuse for the Cig Lighter (I believe it was #13) that was blown. Popped in a new 20A and they all worked again. Plus my stereo amp was also powered by the same fuse, meaning my rear door speakers were ALSO not functioning until the new fuse was in.

All works great now with the fuse.

Check both your silver circuit breaker fuse and #13 cigarette lighter fuse (if you have a 4 door model).

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
My problem is a little different. My tahoe is 4 door, and the other day I went to unlock the doors at the inside switch, but at the same time my girlfriend in the passenger seat was trying to open the door. Ever since then the lock refuses to work, I push on the passenger side manual lever, and its stuck in the open position... Only problem is its actually locked! The other problem is the key wont open the door either (it hasnt been able to long before the lock stopped working), so I have no way of taking the door panel off. I took off the handle bezel on the inside, and was able to barely reach the rod that attaches to the lock lever, and it wont budge. I do hear a relay click when i try the power lock switch, and all the other 3 locks operate. Ideas?

Try ensuring the mechanism is not jammed because perhaps the latch was in the middle off opening. Does pushing the door closed again help?

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try ensuring the mechanism is not jammed because perhaps the latch was in the middle off opening. Does pushing the door closed again help?

I found out that the Handel is broken from the inside and the lock motor is very week so replaced and great :)

Thanks

By the way I came up with an idea (actually I couldn't sleep yesterday thinking of this matter)

I well take both the Tahoe and the Yukon and swap all the good stuff in the from the 4dr Yukon to the 2dr Tahoe to solve a lot of my problems the Tahoe michanecs are week but the Yukon body is heavy and rusty

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

ljnco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here.

1999 Tahoe LS z71 4x4

I'm having the "Blown fuse when plugging in cigarette lighter" issue as well. I quit using it for the longest time, now I feel it's time to dig in.

Anyone have a solution for this. I've looked up and down the wiring and all seems well.

I plan on removing the lighter and replacing it with a new one. Only because that's the last thing I can find. So I need help in 2 areas.

1) Has anyone solved this issue and made the lighter work without issue?

2) How the heck do you get to the lighter connectors and remove them? :D Any documentation on this anywhere. Of course, Chilton's is useless.

From what I see it's going to mean taking the lower dash off. Which I don't mind, but wanted to reach first to see in there is a better way or a solution to this.

Please helps guys! I need guidance. :) Cheers! LJ

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the sockets can get dirty with debris causing it not to work and corrosion can cause the same issue as well as shorting because internal contact parts can break off. Replacement is best. when you remove the trim around the assembly you will see four black squares. You basically remove the center pins in them and afterwards cuss the hell out of it because at that point the remaining pieces don't want to give way enough to just let the assy just pop out easily like is supposed to. Likely because of hard plastic.

Ratna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im interested as well. got a 95 doors and driver seat dont work. seats not that big of a deal since it stoped where i can drive but locks can get annoying
I have the same problem 95 suburban, Just quit one day, seats and door locks. I replaced the metal reseting fuse. I can hear the lock relay clicking under the dash but none of the locks work nor any of the electric seat functions.

Terelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1996 chevy tahoe, and I recently noticed that my power locks have an issue, when I press the button to lock the doors it doesn't work but I get a clicking under the dash that sounds like its on the passenger side. When I use the power windows they work perfectly fine but I also hear the same clicking in the same spot, occasionally when I try and lock the doors it works about 3-5 times then nothing. I also tried to program a key fob that I recently bought but I'm not sure if my 1996 4 door tahoe ls is built with keyless entry.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Terelle- start your own thread, sort of different than this one,and you have multiple questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094