1999 Tahoe (old style) power door lock problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Equipotentiality

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Door Panel Removal

Can someone provide pictures or link to a thread with pictures of a door panel removal? I have a 99 LS 4 door. Thanks.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Side Front Door Trim Panel Replacement Removal Procedure

Tool Required:
J 38778 Trim Panel Remover

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the door handle bezel.
  3. Remove the window regulator handle, as necessary.
  4. Disconnect the power accessory switch mounting panel wiring connector, as necessary.
  5. Remove the trim panel upper extension.
  6. Using a flat blade tool, carefully pry off the trim panel armrest screw cover in order to access the screw.
  7. Remove the trim panel armrest screw.
  8. Using the J 38778, carefully pry the retainer from the retainer seats.
  9. Disconnect the courtesy light connector, if necessary.
  10. Remove the trim panel from the door.
  11. Remove the courtesy lamp lens or the reflector.

1. Pull the retainers from the slot in the trim panel.
  2. Remove the retainers.
Installation Procedure

1. Push the retainer from the slot.
  2. Install the retainers to the trim panel.
  3. Install the courtesy lamp lens or the reflector.
  4. Align the retainers with the holes in the door.
  5. Install the trim panel to the door by carefully applying pressure in order to seat the retainers.
  6. Install the window regulator handle, as necessary.
  7. Install the power accessory switch mounting panel, as necessary.
  8. Install the trim panel armrest screw.
Tighten
Tighten the trim panel armrest screw to 2 N.m (18 lb in) .

1. Insert the screw cover.
  2. Install the trim panel upper extension.
  3. Install the door handle bezel.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.

philontacos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 Tahoe Power Locks

Hoping someone could help me with a similar power lock problem i'm having with my 2001 Tahoe 5.3L LS WD.

All my power locks craped out at the same time. Fob and switches both didn't work, but I can hear the relays clicking. I checked to fuses and had to replace 1 fuse. Now the drivers side door attempts to lock and unlock, but it doesn't have enough power to do so. All other door locks don't move at all. I can hear the relay clicking when i press the FOB, dside and pside switches.

Any idea what to do next? I am going to remove the pannels and clean the actuators, but I assume it's an electrical problem if all failed at once.

95TahoePA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on the same kind of issue with my Suburban.
My wife calls it the Mystery Door. Which door won't be locked when they come back to the truck. Usually the right rear, but not always.

I did find I have a short in the wiring to the drivers door. The lock button does nothing until the door is almost closed. I also don't have power to the speaker in that door.

In the past, on another vehicle I found my power window and door lock issue was a lack of solid ground connections. I went around and cleaned the connections and replaced some worn ground straps and the problem was solved.
sounds like wires between the cab and the door are broken to me.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Hoping someone could help me with a similar power lock problem i'm having with my 2001 Tahoe 5.3L LS WD.

All my power locks craped out at the same time. Fob and switches both didn't work, but I can hear the relays clicking. I checked to fuses and had to replace 1 fuse. Now the drivers side door attempts to lock and unlock, but it doesn't have enough power to do so. All other door locks don't move at all. I can hear the relay clicking when i press the FOB, dside and pside switches.

Any idea what to do next? I am going to remove the pannels and clean the actuators, but I assume it's an electrical problem if all failed at once.

Exact fuse you replaced please?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Should be a lock #22 and unlock #25 fuse on the same block. Both are 15 amps and feed the actuator power thru the relays. Are those okay? Give them a wiggle for any loose or dirty connection.

philontacos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Should be a lock #22 and unlock #25 fuse on the same block. Both are 15 amps and feed the actuator power thru the relays. Are those okay? Give them a wiggle for any loose or dirty connection.

the exact fuse is the 20amp fuse labeled DR LOCK in the user manual. The fuse labeled UNLOCK is 15amp, but appears to be fine. I removed all of the fuses I thought could be associated with this and clean the contacts if they appear to be ok and put them back. I wiggled the wire harness between the door and the cab, but no change. I removed the door locks switch from the drivers door and didn't notice any damaged wires. I cleaned the contacts and reinstalled, but not change.

No sure where to go from here...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Measure the voltage from the unlock/lock fuses and measure again at the door actuator when pressing a button for the locks. If it is about the same replace the actuator. If the voltage is really off you have an electric fault somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter