1999 Tahoe 4X4 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ermerins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1999 tahoe with a strange (to me) 4x4 issue. With the truck stationary in neutral and the brake pressed, the 4x4 system will shift perfectly from 2hi, 4hi, 4lo and 4auto and back. When I drive for a bit in any setting other than 2hi the service 4x4 light comes on and will not let me shift out of 4wd until I come to a stop, shut it off and restart. I suspect there is a speed sensor someplace that is acting up, but maybe something else?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Scott!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A good place to start would be to get the 4x4 codes that are setting the "service" message. You'll need a fairly advanced scanner and some auto parts places have them to read the code(s) for you.

OP
OP
Ermerins

Ermerins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1999 tahoe with a strange (to me) 4x4 issue. With the truck stationary in neutral and the brake pressed, the 4x4 system will shift perfectly from 2hi, 4hi, 4lo and 4auto and back. When I drive for a bit in any setting other than 2hi the service 4x4 light comes on and will not let me shift out of 4wd until I come to a stop, shut it off and restart. I suspect there is a speed sensor someplace that is acting up, but maybe something else?
After much frustration and several shops I traced the problem to an electrical fault in the harness. I repaired the break and no more light. System works as it should. YAY!.....now on to other problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos