1997 Dodge Dakota rust buggy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a cheap truck a while back. It came from north of here so it's rusty. The frame and cab mounts are good. There are a couple of frame splices that are rusty but they should still be plenty strong for what I want to do. Normally, my vehicles will suggest a name after a while but this one got named while it was still on the trailer. "Rubigo". Basically Latin for rust.

Evidently previous owners just drove it and put gas in it. 96K on the clock but they were HARD miles. I out new shocks on the rear the other day to replace the factory original shocks. While I had them off, I spray bombed the wheels black. I usually paint my wheels black as that doesn't show brake dust. Here's a shot showing the difference between stock and painted wheels.

Wheel choice.jpeg

I don't plan to do anything to the body except replace the door hinge pins and the tailgate straps as the hinges are worn out and the straps are off a bigger truck. Folks around here drive terrible ans cut off nice cars in traffic. With body panels that flap in the wind, they won't cut this off.

My rear shocks had the outer tubes rusted away and the front ones had rusted solid and broke the bottom tabs off.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the body swap. I had to give up on it. Two friends were going to help. One passed away and the other was informed hi wife was moving to Florida and he wanted to stay married.

As such, I fixed what need fixing and it's my main daily driver now that the Mazda is up for sale.

Resized_20231109_115028.jpegResized_20231109_115143.jpeg

Still a few details to attend to but it barely looks like the truck I dragged home on a trailer.

Wheel paint 2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC