1997 chevy tahoe won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteHoeProject

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1997 chevy tahoe 4wd

What I thought was my starter went bad a few months back and has gotten worse, just recently for the last few weeks have only been able to start it with the screwdriver method on the solenoid. When I turn the key in the truck I get no cranking, no noises, headlights don't seem to dim, nothing! My batter has its 12.4v and my starter seems to be getting its 12v also. Today I have cleaned off my battery terminals and wires. Installed a brand new starter with solenoid and neutral safety switch

I have let the truck charge up to a full battery and have it a shot and I still get nothing when turning the key.

And a while before my dash gear indicators (little orange line) stopped working so now I can't open my rear hatch or put the truck into 4wd. Does anyone have any ideas on any of this please and thank you

BladeMaker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket remote starter? A slightly messed up remote starter or one that is going bad will show identical signs and symptoms to a bad ignition switch. Just a thought.

OP
OP
WhiteHoeProject

WhiteHoeProject

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket remote starter? A slightly messed up remote starter or one that is going bad will show identical signs and symptoms to a bad ignition switch. Just a thought.
Yes it does have a starter I believe. When I bought it it came with the starter on the keys but I'm not sure if it worked. I know it could unlock doors but not sure if it started truck too, is there a way I can just Uninstaller the system

Dirtyyuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had similar issues with my 97 two door Yukon. Was able to disconnect The aftermarket remote start by finding the remote module and just tracing wires and disconnecting the plugs. Replaced the starter and still had nothing. Thought it was the ignition switch but it checked out fine. Finally realized that the shift lever was not fully locked into park occasionally which would not allow any power to the starter. Usually when it happens I put the truck in neutral turn the wheels around a few times and then try to slam it into park hard. My indicator will tell me when I'm in park but if yours is busted I would just try to slam it into park a few times and see if that helps. Good luck

Dirtyyuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also after putting in a " remanufactured" starter had it fail after only two weeks. Returned it and bought a brand new one. Haven't had an issue since.

Dirtyyuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also after putting in a " remanufactured" starter had it fail after only two weeks. Returned it and bought a brand new one. Haven't had an issue since.

OP
OP
WhiteHoeProject

WhiteHoeProject

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had similar issues with my 97 two door Yukon. Was able to disconnect The aftermarket remote start by finding the remote module and just tracing wires and disconnecting the plugs. Replaced the starter and still had nothing. Thought it was the ignition switch but it checked out fine. Finally realized that the shift lever was not fully locked into park occasionally which would not allow any power to the starter. Usually when it happens I put the truck in neutral turn the wheels around a few times and then try to slam it into park hard. My indicator will tell me when I'm in park but if yours is busted I would just try to slam it into park a few times and see if that helps. Good luck
I'll be trying that later and letting you know how it works, cheapest fixes are always first from me haha thank you

OP
OP
WhiteHoeProject

WhiteHoeProject

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I've changed my whole steering column wich includes the ignition switch (I assume?) changed my starter. Changed my nss. I have no clue what else to try I'm going insane!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SayWhen