1996 Tahoe no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwbruce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here we go. This has got me stumped. The tahoe sat for about a month and the battery ran down completely (glove box light was on). Charged the battery up and then no start. It was running perfectly before. Replaced the crank sensor, coil, and coil module. I have spark at the plugs and 60 PSI at the schrader valve. I can pour gas down the carb throat and it will run then die when out of gas. Checked all the fuses about a dozen times. Not getting any error codes. Got me stumped. What would be stopping the injectors from squirting?

Thanks
Randy

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IS Anti-theft light flashing/solid? Does it light when key to on not start?
Book fuel pressure 62-68. Most will run at 60 but not below.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OP
OP
R

rwbruce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No security/anti-theft light flashing on the dash board. Do you think that 60 psi is too low for it to start?

OP
OP
R

rwbruce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, the security light does not come on with the key is turned. Isnt it supposed to come on and then off?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a big clue, maybe bulb removed? I would try that first. That is how anti-theft reacts.

OP
OP
R

rwbruce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok here is the latest. Pulled the dash and the inst panel. just to see why the security light was not coming on and there is no bulb in that spot. Never has been. the contacts are fresh and clean. But just to see i switch a bulb plugged it back in and nothing bulb does not light. So i think i am not going down the correct path but wondering if i should do the relearn process anyways?
Or focus back on the injectors see if they are getting power?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoulda tested for power and ground at bulb socket. Bulb is currently installed I hope.
Next test is to look at wiring diagram .You have to figure out the how on the ground side. Since bat went dead, It forgot it was in drive mode. Now it is searching for something it can't find, so no start is the likely problem. I would at least check all fuses while installed again -with a meter, key on also.
Factory radio still installed? Do you have 2 chipped keys?
Do you have access to a tech2 or similar scanner?

OP
OP
R

rwbruce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i can still test the socket dash is still apart. The bulb i put in there did not light when i cycled the key several times and tried to start it. Checked the fuses again with a meter all good. Radio is not the original but i removed it just in case. I did notice the the radio fuse was blown when i originally tested the fuses from the first no-start condition. No chip in keys which makes it a passlock system? Its a 1996. I have a snap-on Solus scanner and no error codes to speak of.
Any help will be appreciated i love this Tahoe, perfect condition and this has me stumped.

Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium