1996 4x4 not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trav1984

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried searching and couldnt find anything specific, so i figured i would just ask. Just picked up a 1996 tahoe with push button 4x4, when you push 4hi or lo no lights come on, and no noises can be heard. I checked all the fuses. Last chevy had floor shift so im pretty clueless on where to start. Any help woulod be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
You said you checked the fuses...are they all good?
When you push 4hi/2hi do you feel it shift in/out?
You said you hear no noises when you push the shift buttons. I have a '99 w/the same setup. I can hear a click(ever so slight) from under the truck, and feel it lurch a little bit when it shifts. Originally the lights on the selector switch weren't working, but it was shifting in/out. Turned out to be bad solder connections in the switch not lighting up the correct mode light.

OP
OP
T

Trav1984

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All of the fuses were good. 4x4 is not working at all, it doesnt even make a sound like its trying to work. The lights on the switch dont even flash when i first start it.

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
My push button lights up when it wants too, but if you don't hear anything then it could be the actuator for the 4x4.

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
I agree w/Devious...... if you don't hear/feel it switch, the actuator might be bad.
It's going to take some detective work with a Voltage meter to do some tests.
Check around on here (or Google) Travis, and see if you can find a schematic for the 4x4 system, or a good troubleshooting guide/procedure. I KNOW sum1's got one.

OP
OP
T

Trav1984

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could the switch just be bad? Anyone ever have it happen

OP
OP
T

Trav1984

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Put my switch in a friends 96 silverado, and it lit up and worked perfectly. Would an actuator cause the lights on the switch not to work or could it be the harness. Im a noob when it comes to push and pray 4x4. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

OP
OP
T

Trav1984

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Devious. Are there two actuators on these? one for t-case, one for front diff?

OP
OP
T

Trav1984

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tried jumping the number 13 pin, and got nothing no lights at all, Would the actuator cause this. Or would it have to be the harness?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinsbritton