1996 4x4 not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
i had the same issue with my 99 and it ended being the transfer case shift motor. it was completely burned out! it actually had a crack in it from salt corrosion that popped it open enough for sand and dirt to get in and jam the gears. it was about $200 and presto 4x4 was all good! BTW i tried the switch and chased all kinds of wires too with no luck, it was one of those things we were sure it was electrical, but never thought to look at the shift motor... good luck to you!

OP
OP
T

Trav1984

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks dub i will look into that. Im also in wisconsin and winter is coming fast need to get this figured out.

OP
OP
T

Trav1984

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced the tcase shift motor still nothing. Would the actuator cause the switches not to light up at all.

RedCrush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any luck on this, i have push button 4x4 too, 1997... fuse keeps popping.. I replaced the front diff actuator and it engages fine, and i could use it for a few minutes then the fuse blows... I also replaced the transfer case cuz i busted the old one...

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

trav, heres what mine does, place trans in nuetral, when u hit 4 high you should here a click and the 4 high light will light up, when it does you're in 4 high and can shift to drive. to select 4 low, put trans in nuetral, push 4 low, transfer will clank, and you'll also here the click, if you dont here the clank it means your actuator on the transfer case is bad assuming the fuse is good and there is no elctrical shorts. That actuator is more expensive then the 60 dollar one that goes on the front diff..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarryG1966