1992 GMC Yukon 2 Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pedwar0728

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1992 GMC Yukon. It has a 5 speed manual and the 5.7 V8. I was told it was pretty rare when I bought it and i was just wondering if anyone can verify that? Also if it shares transmissions with any other vehicles as I believe mine is on the way out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have no idea how rare that rig could be unless of course it is in primo shape and low miles but what makes it desirable to me, IMO, is the manual transmission. I think I saw one Tahoe/Yukon of that vintage and manual transmission in my shops over the years. If I was you, I would start the search for a quality transmission shop and have the one you have rebuilt, if in fact it is on the way out. What makes you say that? I would think any pickup truck of that same style would have a transmission that would swap in but you have no idea of the time left on that transmission either. Where is this Yukon at and do you ever park it outside and leave it when you are away from the house......

By the way, welcome to the forum.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum.

A 5 speed sounds very rare. I would have expected a 4 speed maybe a Muncie.
Is it a 4 wheel drive rig?
Would love to see some pics of it.
Cheers

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum.

A 5 speed sounds very rare. I would have expected a 4 speed maybe a Muncie.
Is it a 4 wheel drive rig?
Would love to see some pics of it.
Cheers
Did they even come out of the factory with 5 speeds? Maybe someone did a transmission swap at some point and looks stock. Hell, I don't know.

OP
OP
P

pedwar0728

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's a trans or a clutch, it has a very hard shift into first when stopped but when rolling it shifts pretty easily. It also grinds when going into reverse unless you go from 5th/OD to reverse. It's got 250,000 and is far from pristine but it is a pretty nice first car.

OP
OP
P

pedwar0728

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did they even come out of the factory with 5 speeds? Maybe someone did a transmission swap at some point and looks stock. Hell, I don't know.
I did a vin lookup and it shows that it came with a manual so as far as I can tell it's original.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's a trans or a clutch, it has a very hard shift into first when stopped but when rolling it shifts pretty easily. It also grinds when going into reverse unless you go from 5th/OD to reverse. It's got 250,000 and is far from pristine but it is a pretty nice first car.
IMO, that is either normal or a problem with the clutch. May just be adjustment or the normal 1st gear and reverse gear synchronizers being what they are. Did it always do that since you bought it or did it start after you bought it? If you double clutch it, does that make a difference? Have you looked at a sample of the fluid to see if has any debris/metal in it? Have you tried doing a fluid drain and flush and refill with fresh fluid? Basics first....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did a vin lookup and it shows that it came with a manual so as far as I can tell it's original.
Comes with manual, I get that, but with a manual 4 speed or 5 speed or does it not break it down like that. I think you can go to a Chevy Forum and punch in the entire VIN and it will pull up a build sheet and tell you which transmission it came with.

OP
OP
P

pedwar0728

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Comes with manual, I get that, but with a manual 4 speed or 5 speed or does it not break it down like that. I think you can go to a Chevy Forum and punch in the entire VIN and it will pull up a build sheet and tell you which transmission it came with.
It's a 4 speed with overdrive. Just bought it yesterday and it started doing it on the way home. Haven't check fluid or anything like that just cause its a pain to drain the trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts