1992-1998/99 SSBC Rear Disc Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YUKON1999

Reaction score
I bought this kit from SSBC threw a dealer on here. It says 92-98 on kit but works on 99. It’s a rear disc conversion kit that replaces the rear drums and lines. The instructions lack a little information but you can manage if you have a Haynes manual and the bolts and washers should have been marked separately. If you have no problems in removing the old parts you can replace it all in about 6-8 hours with two people and if you don’t drink too much on the job. the only major problem I had was the supplied rear brake lines were 8-10 inches to long on both side and the threaded fittings were not the right ones so had to put the extra ones the kit had, on and when installed to the transfer unit above the rear diff (the little block with the line feeding from the front) they still leak a little maybe a tear drop a day so nothing to bad. The kit didn’t come with a rear diff gasket so had to get one and gear lub. Overall I am happy with the conversion they make a huge difference in braking and the E-brake works with the kit. There is also a bolt you will to remove in the distribution block and remove the spring and seal on it, then replace the bolt (very easy part).
Instructions lack picture detail and directional arrows and things like that but you can manage its just messing with brake lines are always a pain to do.
1) Kit price was $1200 I had the calipers painted black but you can get different color if you want
2) Diff gasket was $8.46
3) I used about 2 and half bottles of gear lub I think it was 80w don’t remember for sure but they were $9.98 a bottle
4) you will need a bottle of brake fluid for you will be replacing the master cylinder I only used about half the bottle but had some so don’t know price on that
5) Then there was the beer expense

Any questions just ask I have pictures on my album and I am sure there are things I forgot to say but this is my first thread

Attachments

• basic.jpg
    basic.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
YUKON1999

YUKON1999

Reaction score
what ya mean by a write up
just the pics on my album is all i forgot about taking them

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I bought this kit from SSBC threw a dealer on here. It says 92-98 on kit but works on 99. It’s a rear disc conversion kit that replaces the rear drums and lines. The instructions lack a little information but you can manage if you have a Haynes manual and the bolts and washers should have been marked separately. If you have no problems in removing the old parts you can replace it all in about 6-8 hours with two people and if you don’t drink too much on the job. the only major problem I had was the supplied rear brake lines were 8-10 inches to long on both side and the threaded fittings were not the right ones so had to put the extra ones the kit had, on and when installed to the transfer unit above the rear diff (the little block with the line feeding from the front) they still leak a little maybe a tear drop a day so nothing to bad. The kit didn’t come with a rear diff gasket so had to get one and gear lub. Overall I am happy with the conversion they make a huge difference in braking and the E-brake works with the kit. There is also a bolt you will to remove in the distribution block and remove the spring and seal on it, then replace the bolt (very easy part).
Instructions lack picture detail and directional arrows and things like that but you can manage its just messing with brake lines are always a pain to do.
1) Kit price was $1200 I had the calipers painted black but you can get different color if you want
2) Diff gasket was $8.46
3) I used about 2 and half bottles of gear lub I think it was 80w don’t remember for sure but they were $9.98 a bottle
4) you will need a bottle of brake fluid for you will be replacing the master cylinder I only used about half the bottle but had some so don’t know price on that
5) Then there was the beer expense

Any questions just ask I have pictures on my album and I am sure there are things I forgot to say but this is my first thread

stop teasing me. it is frustrating to me that i did not do this when i had the chance to get it free.

OP
OP
YUKON1999

YUKON1999

Reaction score
O gotcha if I took more pics I could but didn't really but if anyone see this thread ill help them out with it, the instructions weren't that bad just could have been better

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Sunlit comet
Free would have been nice for this build wasn't a cheap one

DIAZ

Reaction score
I just did my ssbc brake conversion on Friday. Overall came out great, BUT I don't think it makes a difference in stopping power. I still feel it the same.

OP
OP
YUKON1999

YUKON1999

Reaction score
I know this is gonna sound stupid but did you bleed all the brakes

DIAZ

Reaction score
I did BUT I have a hydro-boost conversion on my yukon and I already have an awesome stopping power, doing the conversion didn't make that much of a difference. Now if I had a power booster that would be a different story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019