19 XL Denali : "noise" behind instrument cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

like2detail

Reaction score
I've got a 3 week old 19 Yukon XL Denali with an interesting noise from behind the instrument cluster. It almost sounds like there's something hanging in the dash and when I rock the truck back and forth by steering, even a low speed, I get a tapping noise. It's like something is hanging back there and I can cause it to tap every time I rock it back and forth. It doesn't do it on bumps only when the truck rocks back and forth. Driving me crazy, any ideas?

OP
OP
like2detail

like2detail

Reaction score
I messed with it a little more this afternoon. Can 100% reproduce every time, more of a clicking noise than a rattle. If I'm in motion even at low speed and move the steering wheel back and forth it will make the noise 100% of the time. If I stop and move the wheel in the same manner, no noise. I feel like it's coming from lower in the dash than originally thought. It will also make the same noise on roads with humps or valleys, jarring bumps don't cause it. Always afraid to use the dealer for this sort of thing, I figure they will rip the dash apart and make it worse. Thanks!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I messed with it a little more this afternoon. Can 100% reproduce every time, more of a clicking noise than a rattle. If I'm in motion even at low speed and move the steering wheel back and forth it will make the noise 100% of the time. If I stop and move the wheel in the same manner, no noise. I feel like it's coming from lower in the dash than originally thought. It will also make the same noise on roads with humps or valleys, jarring bumps don't cause it. Always afraid to use the dealer for this sort of thing, I figure they will rip the dash apart and make it worse. Thanks!

I have a rattle in the dash, left side, a little lower than steering wheel. Dealer can’t find it. Rattles on rougher roads.

Good luck!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you climb under it with s flashlight? Or maybe try to stick your camera under there as you replicate the motion. It may be a loose wire or a hanger but it’s brand new. Dealer needs to fix it if you can’t find it. Tell them no dash removal without calling you first. If you go that route take a few pics all around and your dash beforehand.

OP
OP
like2detail

like2detail

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been all under there, removed the duct for the heat to see a little better as well. On the side of the steering column there is a T shaped thin metal piece that looks like it may not be installed correctly. It's loose and I can move it around, got a flimsy plastic cover on top of it. I'll try to get a photo later today. I tried to push it in tighter but it doesn't seem to want to go in any farther. It is strange how that noise is there if I'm moving even 10mph but doesn't do it when moving the wheel in the same motion while stationary, even in gear.

Not sure I'll be able to get under there while I'm moving lol!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put your phone on record and hold it under as far as you safely can. You’ll want the flash on. Have you tried replicating it stationery but in gear, neutral, reverse or just park? Keep at it you’ll find it.

OP
OP
like2detail

like2detail

Reaction score
That's a great idea, never thought to try that. The other thing I might do is run down to the dealer and get the keys to another one just to see if it looks the same.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buzz behind the secret compartment that happens when the engine passes through 1900 rpm until 2300 rpm. Will need to tear out the dash to try to find it so have not bothered to pursue - yet.

OP
OP
like2detail

like2detail

Reaction score
Spent some time today. Narrowed down to the area behind the climate control knobs. Can replicate by rocking the truck back and forth while parked. Sounds like something a zip tie will fix, like a loose wire harness swinging in the dash somewhere. Started to pull the center console apart and it was giving me some trouble so I decided to quit for the day before something gets broken...

OP
OP
like2detail

like2detail

Reaction score
FOUND IT! Took most of the lower and center dash apart this morning. There's a bracket above my right knee when seated. Under the steering column, makes a U shape to hold the lower part of the dash. Laying in the U was a brand new unused 7mm bolt that someone dropped during assembly and was rocking back and forth. The noise was resonating all over the dash which made it super hard to find. Explains why it had to be in motion to get the truck to rock back and forth. What a pain in the @$$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter