'19-'20 Reliability/longevity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finetuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I uninstalled "Android auto play" and the radio volume fading issue appears to be fine now. I don't think I installed it correctly because it never worked for me. :( I'll have to watch a youtube video on how to install it.

Yea I also had that recall done.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Dave. I'll support the other comments on transmissions. 6=yes, 8=no, 10=yes. Even through you already have a tow vehicle, I'd encourage you to try to find a deal on a vehicle with the 6.2.

OP
OP
W

Whipped500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome Dave. I'll support the other comments on transmissions. 6=yes, 8=no, 10=yes. Even through you already have a tow vehicle, I'd encourage you to try to find a deal on a vehicle with the 6.2.

I'm trying to stay right around $50k and that leaves me with a LS which I can't get the 6.2 in...as far as I know? I've driven a 6.2 and it's nice but I just don't think it's necessary for what I need. I would love it but to upgrade to a LT and 6.2 seems to be about $10k on '19

OP
OP
W

Whipped500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really did some research and building over the weekend and found out I can get into a LT RST exactly how I want it for only about $5k more than the LS I was building...I swear when I was looking/building before, it was $10k just to go from LS to LT. I believe if everything goes right, I will be ordering a LT RST with the 5.3...but going to at least wait until December 12th for the '21 announcement. I'm leaning towards a '20 since it should have most of the bugs worked out and I like the style/looks of it and what it offers...as well as it is probably going to be at a lot better price point than a '21 and who knows what kinds of first year problems it will have and how long to straighten out?

Still would like to hear if there is anything that should be avoided or if I do end up with a '20 5.3 6 speed, what I should be doing (range) or should be keeping an eye on?

Thanks

iras1976

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Just signed up because I'm in the market for a tahoe. Trying to read up and learn about them more than the general stuff that I know already

My question is...do they have the most or all the bugs worked out of the '19/'20? I'm trying to decide to take advantage of the savings on the current '19/'20 or wait for the'21?

The IRS would be nice for ride quality but I would also like the tried and true solid axle. Not sure what to think of the 10 speed trans over the 6? Also not sure what to think of the AFM vs DFM? On paper, the 10 speed and DFM sounds good but I will be keeping this vehicle for a while and not racking up a lot of miles either so I'm looking for whatever would be the most reliable?

I have to admit too that the savings on a '20 compared to a '21 is weighing in to the thought process.
Going through the same dilemma of thinking if I should wait for the 2021 . I use mine for car service and I have to retire my 2015 by law before 2021 . Should I pick up a 2020 in the summer (if I can save up the down payment) or get a fresh new 2021 model ?

The things I'm considering is that (hopefully)most of the bugs will be worked on the 2020 , itll still have the solid rear axle which I feel is a plus , and I can most likely get a better bang for buck whether it's a better price or higher trim level .

The 2021 pros are pretty much all in the fact that itll be a new design and have a higher resale value when the time comes. Not too hot on the engine options whether it be a 4 or 6 cylinder turbo , sounds like more problems to me . I'd really like to see what the design and specs are on the 2021 , itll definitely make things a lot more clearer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Whipped500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going through the same dilemma of thinking if I should wait for the 2021 . I use mine for car service and I have to retire my 2015 by law before 2021 . Should I pick up a 2020 in the summer (if I can save up the down payment) or get a fresh new 2021 model ?

The things I'm considering is that (hopefully)most of the bugs will be worked on the 2020 , itll still have the solid rear axle which I feel is a plus , and I can most likely get a better bang for buck whether it's a better price or higher trim level .

The 2021 pros are pretty much all in the fact that itll be a new design and have a higher resale value when the time comes. Not too hot on the engine options whether it be a 4 or 6 cylinder turbo , sounds like more problems to me . I'd really like to see what the design and specs are on the 2021 , itll definitely make things a lot more clearer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm kind of preferring the solid axle as well. The IRS would be a nicer ride and more room but I wouldn't really be using the third row and would be towing some

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proud owner of a 16 Suburban and a 18 Tahoe; both LT models with the tried and true 6sp transmission. Both maintained with synthetic fluids at the recommended intervals. I have,however, added the following to the Tahoe:
Borla exhausts, GM performance CAI, black bear tune, UPR catch can, and a K&N throttle module.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get a 2021, at least wait til 2022 and let all the new platform bugs get worked out.. first year always have some issues that come to light. Look at all the issues people have with 2015s. Look around online, you may be able to find a dealership with a couple 2019s hanging around, my local dealer had 3 or 4 LS trim and an RST still hanging around

OP
OP
W

Whipped500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a '20 LT RST or waiting a few years.

I started looking for a '19 RST 6.2 but just really don't think I need the 6.2 nor want to spend the extra money for the premier. I also don't know what to think yet of the DFM?

I have been reading that they tweaked the AFM on the 5.3 to make it a little better? I was leaning towards the 5.3 and getting a range and changing oil often. It would be a mostly around town car, I have a Duramax for hauling/towing.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach&NYC Dave!

I have 2016 5.3 Tahoe LT. I just turned 74K miles today going thru the Lincoln Tunnel. AFM is still enabled. Have the 6 speed transmission. So far [knock on wood] just plain old regular maintenance. Gets serviced every 5K miles with either Mobil 1 or AC Delco Full Synthetic. I still get 24 MPG out on the highway on plain old regular 87 Mobil fuel.

If it were me buying a new Tahoe right now I would get the 2020..Just IMHO.
Same truck and my experience is similar. Generally the aggregated reliability data on these trucks (JD Power for instance) is very good, though I admit I've heard enough about the 8-speed transmissions that I may avoid them.

Mine is pretty basic - LT model, 5.3l engine, 6 speed transmission, mechanical suspension. Not expensive to fix, I hope. No doubt the 6.2 is faster, but the 5.3 does not feel slow and the towing capacity is well beyond my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE