'19-'20 Reliability/longevity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 18 Silverado couple weeks ago 25k on it, sight unseen had it delivered it has the same motor as the suv's didn't have a worry about it at all. runs fine, it's still under factory warranty and it's a 2nd vehicle so probably wont get driven as much, should last me a good long while

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at only getting a LS because for how little I'm going to use it, I can't see spending an extra $10k for a LT when the LS has almost everything I'm looking for.

Also, I already have a Duramax so the Tahoe would be more of an out and about vehicle...if I need to tow or haul, I have the DMAX
Depending upon the dealer, you can find some really good deals on left over 19 Tahoe’s and Suburbans. When I purchased my 19 LT Suburban last April, it was almost the same price as the LS Suburban that I traded in. It all depends upon the incentives that are available in your market, whether you qualify fir any special incentives and the level of the completion between your area dealers. If competition is high, they just might sharpen their pencil, which could put an LT in your budget. Having driven an LS for three years, it provided everything I needed. However, the heated seats in winter and even for sore back muscles are nice. Additionally, the lane keep assist and other safety flares that are standard on the LT are also good to have.

Whether you get an LS or a base LT, you cannot go wrong. One recommendation would be to stick with the 18” wheels. Better ride.

Denali 15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is wrong with the 8-speed transmission? We have a 2017 Yukon Denali with an 8-speed and so far, love it.
Wondering if there is something we should watch for. We always trade in the fall when that year vehicle is discounted.
There is no way to win with vehicles, but trading routinely in the fall has worked for us. Good luck on what you decide.

OP
OP
W

Whipped500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depending upon the dealer, you can find some really good deals on left over 19 Tahoe’s and Suburbans. When I purchased my 19 LT Suburban last April, it was almost the same price as the LS Suburban that I traded in. It all depends upon the incentives that are available in your market, whether you qualify fir any special incentives and the level of the completion between your area dealers. If competition is high, they just might sharpen their pencil, which could put an LT in your budget. Having driven an LS for three years, it provided everything I needed. However, the heated seats in winter and even for sore back muscles are nice. Additionally, the lane keep assist and other safety flares that are standard on the LT are also good to have.

Whether you get an LS or a base LT, you cannot go wrong. One recommendation would be to stick with the 18” wheels. Better ride.

Haha...I got hooked on a LS because of the optional 22" makes it look a lot better to me.

TwoBigBoys n dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my nw in July '18 Yukon Denali now has 24K miles on it and I run the 22" in the summer and 20" winters in the Fall. The 22s look good but have noticeable ride difference than the 20s and no clearance for chains. I love the 10 speed; still cannot feel it shift even when making a a hard freeway pass. I do run premium fuel as the 6.2 prefers. Running 80+ with a load of boys and dogs still getting 22+ on the flat; 17+ in the city with hills.

finetuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased a White 2019 Tahoe LS 5.3 - 6 speed, no 3rd row seat on the 1st week of Sept. 2019. My first Tahoe. I now have around 800 miles on it. Not many miles to really give any good long term feedback. The transmission shifts smoothly. The power of the 5.3 is enough for me. Reading the many issues others have had with the 8 speed tranny was enough for me to stick with the 6 speed. The Tahoe rides a lot smoother then the 2019 Pilot that I got rid of because it had an issue that Honda could not fix after 4 attempts. I really do like the Tahoe and can't wait to see how it does in the snowy winter days. The LS does not come with the telescoping steering wheel which I knew when I purchased it but now wish I had it. I'm 5 11". Not that it really bothers me since having the drivers power seat helps. The LS eliminates a lot of the new safety features (less the backup camera) like frontal collision alert, lane keep assist, cross traffic alert (when backing out), start/stop, etc. I had those features in the 2019 Pilot but found myself disabling them except for the cross traffic alert. However I do miss having the cross traffic alert on the Tahoe when backing out of some tight spots. Lane keep assist would also be nice to have gotten. A family member bought a 2019 denali truck and man I can hear and feel the start/stop feature on that beautiful truck every time it engages. And the 8 speed seemed confused at times with shifting gears. Don't know if the Tahoe's 8 speed reacts the same way. No Range device installed to disable the AFM. I don't really feel it kicking in although it does and can be viewed engaging via the instrument cluster. But I'm still thinking about buying it to keep it in V8 all the time. Will see.

2 complaint's that I have, 1st, the radio volume seems to fade in & out when driving around. Auto Volume is disabled and I reset the radio. Almost like the head unit has something built into it that kicks in to protect the speakers from being blown. But I only have the volume set a 3rd or half way and it continously does it. Have not taken it into the dealer as of yet.

2nd, Worst backup camera I ever had. In daylight it's good (not great) but at night it's terrible. Very grainy at night and when I apply the brakes the red lights wash out the view. I suspect the Tahoe LS does not have an HD head unit so this could be the reason for a poor image and the design of the lights when reversing. I also had a 2015 Pilot and the camera was great having a sharp image in daylight and was ok at night. It's tuff to get image quality at night but the Pilot was better. The 2019 Pilot camera was not as good as the 2015 Pilot.

The front OEM floor mats have to go. I got the Husky liners and they are Great. I never owned a vehicle that I had to step up into so Im still getting used to that at 60. 18" wheels with michelin's. Overall I really do like and enjoy driving the Tahoe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Whipped500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, are there any real problems still going on with the '19/'20's or is everything pretty much worked out?

I know if I got a '21, I could be in for problems as it's a whole new vehicle that has unknowns. I feel it I got a '19/'20, I would really only need a range to disable the AFM... anything else I'm missing or other thoughts?

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the poor camera resolution at night, the 19 Suburban is fine for the most part. In my case, just some interior trim issue come to mind. Did have one issue with the brakes when I was taking it in for a recall, but the dealer thinks the recall may have fixed the problem since it required a reprogramming of the brake module.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Do all or some of the GMT 2KXX vehicles have stop/start? If so, can it be disabled upon startup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali