18-20 Suburban/YXL vs. Expedition MAX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Annieg I am not sure you found this thread via a search and joined jsut to post a negative experience but thank youfor taking the time. I will tend to throw out the high and low scores when making a decision. Show my a brand thad does not have issues or deny a prevailing problem and I will show you a fictitious company, sadly it is to be expected.

Just out of curiocity, what are you getting for fuel economy with the Ford verses the Chevy?

George100

Reaction score
I had the chance to long term rent an Expedition and came away very favourably, it did ride nice and it was comfortable, this was a 2018 new style, As good as this model was, the Suburban I bought was just better. Better fuel economy by far, that was one of the things that did surprise me as i thought the v6 would walk away with the fuel economy trophy but no it did not, the other thing that surprised me was how small the inside of the Exp was, now granted it was a the smaller version but the rear seat cup holder always got in the way and it did not allow for much longer material to be put there. I think the Expy is for moving people, the GM standard size SUV's are for both people and cargo, the smaller GM Tahoes and Yukons in the older versions were a toss up between people and cargo, with 5 being the sweet spot in those vehicles. I have not looked at the new reworks yet. I will be in 2022 be in the market for new SUV and i will be also looking at the Expedition Max, the new version of the Toyota if its out by then, the new wagoneer and its bigger engine brother, although these look like they will be too small. At the end of the day, I think the Expy is for Ford owners that would never drive a GM and Ford makes one for them, their sales are not the greatest even though they did good in the first year but now are returning to their natural sales targets. Good luck on your hunt and good wishes on what you buy.

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better fuel economy by far, that was one of the things that did surprise me as i thought the v6 would walk away with the fuel economy trophy but no it did not,
Yeah, I hear the 3.5 TT can be thirsty especially if you have a heavier foot. We are leaning towards the GM twins.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Like the OP I had a Ford Expy as a rental for two weeks. The interior was 1980’s in that it was automotive inspired vs what GM has moved forward into more of a cockpit inspired look. Ford’s ride was more automobile like and comfortable vs GM truck like ride except ... the auto/Magneride equipped vehicles that are comparable or exceed Ford on the XL & ESV, Suburban chassis.

As an Audi twin turbo 2.7L owner I’m aware of the benefits and pitfalls of the EcoBoost design. Thermal/heat being the biggest one. It short life’s components. Plastics become brittle and break down faster, rubber hoses/seals breakdown and service/repairs on an out of warranty (turbo) vehicle is astronomical. Ford’s 3.5L ecoboost is a two piece iron graphite block mated to aluminum heads with liquid cooled exhaust manifolds.

It’s not time to buy a car. A short term lease is better. There’s a technology jump getting ready to occur on SUV’s. Hybrid, EV, clean diesel & clean diesel EV’s will eviscerate petroleum powered vehicle values. If I was dead set on making a purchase I’d get a GM full size 3.0L turbo diesel. It’s Highway MPG hits the high 30’s from the inline, all aluminum I-6, engineered and designed to be a turbo diesel from day one. BTW the 10SP trans GM & Ford uses was a shared development by both companies.

Admittedly, I am biased. Ford has its propensity toward rollovers in 91-01 Explorers. I almost lost my family in an new, rented 04 Lincoln Navigator. When leaving Kihei, driving to Lahaina on Maui, a car panic stopped on a hillside 2 lane road that rounds a corner. At 45 MPH the p/s rear corner pitched up on my panic stop of the slightly turned road. I had to Hail Mary, let off the brakes and rear end the car in front or roll over and down the hill into the ocean.

Just milliseconds before impact the car in front let off their brakes and proceeded. The back tire of the Navigator planted back on the pavement and I learned that Ford built their SUV too high, too narrow and with a wheelbase and tire combo that was grossly inadequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Be interesting to post this same question in an Expedition forum to see what everyone says over there.

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not time to buy a car. A short term lease is better. There’s a technology jump getting ready to occur on SUV’s. Hybrid, EV, clean diesel & clean diesel EV’s will eviscerate petroleum powered vehicle values. If I was dead set on making a purchase I’d get a GM full size 3.0L turbo diesel.
I am a huge proponent of leasing...iIF t is makes sense. But there are a couple of factors right now that do not. There a a premoum on the new diesel., lease money factors and residuals are not favorable and the other huge viable, I do not know what miles I will be putting on this vehicle in hte next 3 years or so, 15K or 25K a year. As far as buying a new diesel I would love to, I have optioned one out 10-15 times, I just cannot justify the extra $30K for what I can get a 40-45K 19-20 for. Plus the higher insurance and registrations costs (they go by cost of the vehicle in NV).

I have sold cars for about 15 years with over 1500 transactions under my belt, I also have owned/leased almost 60 cars, I understand when I should buy or lease new and used (I have even leased used cars when the deals were there). I have a pretty good idea of my situation and what will work and a new lease just wouldn't.

George100

Reaction score
I think we have a pug fanclub or a boxers conference here on this post, lol.. I would have to imagine that there are not too many owners of Expys on any forums, as they did not sell alot of them. Something Ford is trying to change but kind of hit on the first year a double instead of a homerun. I really think the competition is good for product improvement. Who knows if GM would have put IRS in the rear on their own or if Ford pushed them to do it. The Jury is still out on the IRS and it will about 10 years before good data is known. As far as engine choice, i am myself leaning in 22 for a 3 liter diesel knowing what the oil belt interval is. What i am thinking about is the really stupid high cost of diesel, its easily a good dollar a gallon more where i live and the cost of the regen material makes me pause as well, as any fuel economy advantage would be somewhat mitigated by the regenning. Electric is still a long long way off, Hybrid is still the way to go as it takes care of the range issue.

Annieg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Annieg I am not sure you found this thread via a search and joined jsut to post a negative experience but thank youfor taking the time. I will tend to throw out the high and low scores when making a decision. Show my a brand thad does not have issues or deny a prevailing problem and I will show you a fictitious company, sadly it is to be expected.

Just out of curiocity, what are you getting for fuel economy with the Ford verses the Chevy?
The expedition Platinum is getting 19 to 20 on the highway. about the same as the Tahoe Z71 on a good day. I did not join to trash the Chev, but when you are stuck on the side of the highway for 4 hours, during a x-mas trip and your Chev is towed to a strange dealer and no rent cars are available, it was the trip from hell, and the Chev let us all down and was towed 5 times previously. It was purchased for long haul trips new. Chev said it was put back to factory specs in the wiring harness thru the steering wheel, but factory specs were not good enough. The wiring crimp was a design defect. and may have happened again. I liked the Tahoe, but it was all glitz and glam and great looking, but like I said it failed. Chevs other fatal flaw was Kelsey Hayes brakes in the 90s. They weren't recalled either until many years later, after I could not stop a Blazer at a red light. They told me I didn't know how to panic stop. Funny the brakes did not activate. Chev avoids recalls like the plague.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71