18-20 Suburban/YXL vs. Expedition MAX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that shopped both vehicles...what was the deciding factor(s) that swayed you to the GM product? Motor? Configuration? Price? Reliability? History with previous models? What could have made your decision go the other way? Coming from an 08 YXL, I am leaning to staying with the GM but exploring (no pun intended) all of our options.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have a family of 6, and now opening our 5th GM suv, we recently looked at both...still deciding on the Suburban platform. Reasons being this...

1. i prefer the V8 engine in a large suv, i didint have any faith in the turbo v6 for the long haul.
2. my 4 children play sports, 3 of which are traveling tournament players, the Expedition offer slightly more leg room for the 3rd row, but far less in the cargo area. this is where we needed room.
3. Price ! we could easily find a wider range of vehicle within a given price range, where as the EXP's were generally higher price points for similar features and mileage
4. i service my own vehicles, and GM is easy and relatively inexpensive to repair

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have a family of 6, and now opening our 5th GM suv, we recently looked at both...still deciding on the Suburban platform. Reasons being this...

1. i prefer the V8 engine in a large suv, i didint have any faith in the turbo v6 for the long haul.
2. my 4 children play sports, 3 of which are traveling tournament players, the Expedition offer slightly more leg room for the 3rd row, but far less in the cargo area. this is where we needed room.
We carry 4 (adults) at the most. I actaully prefer the storage of the Exp-Max better with the flatter floor and second row that goes fore/aft. But thanks.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also go to the Ford site and ask what swayed them to trade their GM product for the Ford.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having owned both the ride in the higher end Expedition and Navigators is in my opinion better due to the independent rear end.
I have the 3.5L Ecoboost in my truck and so far has been a very good engine (97k miles).
We got the Yukon XL because my wife likes GM products. The 6.2L is a great motor and even better with boost.
We are a family of 5 so the cargo area is used alot. Tough choice depending on what boxes need to be checked.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked at both when I traded out of my 17 Suburban. Decided that the 19 was significantly a better value. Ore features for much less money. Yes, the Expedition Max handled bumpy roads better, but those are few and far between where I live.

Annieg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those that shopped both vehicles...what was the deciding factor(s) that swayed you to the GM product? Motor? Configuration? Price? Reliability? History with previous models? What could have made your decision go the other way? Coming from an 08 YXL, I am leaning to staying with the GM but exploring (no pun intended) all of our options.
I just traded a 2016 Tahoe Z78 with only 56000 miles because of limp mode problems, after spending shop time on and off for 4 months , and the last time on a 700 mile trip, it spent 28 days in Chevrolet service 400 miles from home, They found the main control cable in the steering wheel getting crimped and did not want to admit this was a design flaw in all Chev Trucks and SUV. They changed everything under the sun and finally came down to a crimped wire. Luckily I had an extended warranty . 3 dealerships could not find the problem. Needless to say during this last trip when I did not have a car, I purchased a 2020 Expedition Platinum, which I now love. I drove the platinum xl and just felt it was too long. I will never go back to Chevrolet and have been burned twice on them. Read all the internet problems with the Chevrolets, that they like to cover up and you will leave them also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts