17 Suburban Premier - rough idle when warmed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just purchased a used 2017 Suburban Premier about 2 months ago. I notice that after the car has run for a while and is warmed up, coming to a stop and staying in drive there is a fairly noticeable rough idle. The whole truck gets shaky. The roughness goes away upon shifting to neutral or park.

The dealership looked at it and said "everything seemed normal". They checked all the sensors and all as well. But I feel like this isn't "normal".

Anyone experience something similar to this?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a used 2017 Suburban Premier about 2 months ago. I notice that after the car has run for a while and is warmed up, coming to a stop and staying in drive there is a fairly noticeable rough idle. The whole truck gets shaky. The roughness goes away upon shifting to neutral or park.

The dealership looked at it and said "everything seemed normal". They checked all the sensors and all as well. But I feel like this isn't "normal".

Anyone experience something similar to this?

My 16 Hoe does it every so often. I find it idles smoothest on 87 Exxon-Mobil. I never complained about it to the dealer as it happens very infrequently. I just ignore it when it happens. Nobody in my vehicle ever says anything about it.

Before buying my Tahoe I rented a lot Tahoe-Suburban's and all of them had the same idle. If I recall correctly GM raised the idle speed on the 18+ to stop the issue.

I assume it would do it more if your a/c system is off but my a/c system is constantly on so I have no idea on that. I cooler-cold climates I leave it in the high-low [bi-level] position. This way there is no fogging on the windows.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 18 did it. Had motor mounts changed which helped but I raised idle to 600 and is smooth. 490 to 500 is way to low of an idle IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swabbot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 15' use to have the same issue. I ended up replacing the fuel pump (error code finally appeared) and the idling issue went away.

Brad32486

Reaction score
Depending on mileage I've pondered the idea of carbon build up restricting intake passages. This can be a problem on direct injection engines as port injectors would keep the valve ports clean of carbon by way of fuel spray. I work as a service writer for a premium European luxury brand and know how carbon build can cause this, I just don't know how it applies to GM. We have a process where we hook up a gizmo to the intake and it sprays a bunch of cleaner and dissolves the carbon away so you don't have to do mechanical disassembly. I did this on my 15 Tahoe about a month ago and feel a smoother idle and not the slight wander/surge on partial throttle, so it's something to consider.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on mileage I've pondered the idea of carbon build up restricting intake passages. This can be a problem on direct injection engines as port injectors would keep the valve ports clean of carbon by way of fuel spray. I work as a service writer for a premium European luxury brand and know how carbon build can cause this, I just don't know how it applies to GM. We have a process where we hook up a gizmo to the intake and it sprays a bunch of cleaner and dissolves the carbon away so you don't have to do mechanical disassembly. I did this on my 15 Tahoe about a month ago and feel a smoother idle and not the slight wander/surge on partial throttle, so it's something to consider.

Out of curiosity do you write that service up as a Induction Service?

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a thread here on rough idle which was over 50 pages long (or something close to that). My 2018 Yukon had rough idle when I bought it with 7K miles on odometer, spent endless hours and over $2800 of personal money to fix the rough idle and it was all wasted. Finally found a local dealer who was very aggressive and traded good-optioned Yukon for bare-bones 2020 Tahoe. I was in 26 2018+ Tahoe/Yukons by now. That 2020 truck had a smooth idle and still has it 70% of the time but I found the following (purely subjective but I am just trying to pay back to the users of this great forum):
1) These 2018+ 5.3 engines are incredibly sensitive to gasoline brand. Shell, BP, Costco seem to produce the smoothest idle in North Carolina. Shell is universally hated here and on BTOG but again I am just sharing my experience with 5.3 trucks that I drove extensively for months. I do see poorer mileage on Shell. It got Chevron twice when we were on South Carolina and it was by far and I mean by far the smoothest gas and superior mileage.
2) Contrary to the manual, these trucks do not like 87, they retard so much or even detonate on 87 (not always audible but according to logs it is there). However, they seem to idle best on 87. When I put 93 it seems to give it rougher idle. 89 in also a problem as this is the least selling octane and according to two gas station owners they told me they sell <10% in 89 so that gas is not the freshest (assume it has more sediment too). These are high-compression engines and they should prefer 89 or 93 and they probably do but idle is not the smoothest with 93.
3) I see almost no MPG gain with 89 nor with 93 unless it is Shell. With Shell 89 and 93 the mileage is worse than BP or Costco. With Chevron it is like magic, the truck idles perfect and gas mileage is just 10% better (measure on Fuelly).
4) Exxon gives me rough idle, no matter what octane (again dozens here prefer Exxon and for good reasons, but on my two trucks here in NC Exxon is not it).
4) Gas is not gas and no Federal or State is not tightly regulating the additives and do not monitor every station weekly.

I like the ride that these trucks are producing it is very comfortable but be prepared to live with rough idle. 2020s are also abysmally bad with squeaks and rattles in the cabin my dealer is trying to fix them but really cannot. He has tried 7 times now and it keeps rattling in the dashboard, driver door, center console. The truck is 5 months old and has 11K miles now.

Good luck to us all with GM.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used silicone spray on my center console with success. Easy cleanup, does not harm any of the plastic. Good luck, stinks you have had two back to back with issues.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is your idle rpms when that happens?

i am thinking it will be low. (although well within GM spec, LOL)

i had mine raised to 600 from 500 when i tuned mine. similar to what Bob2c mentioned

RobDenali

Reaction score
I had a rough idle that went away when I did the mobile1 atf Flush and TCM relearn as per the TSB. I noticed the difference immediately

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo