16 Denali Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MissouriYukon16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured I would just start a thread and keep everyone updated on some of the issues I've been having. The truck started with a "Service 4wd" message that would pop in while the truck was in 2wd. Once the message was received, the truck would not engage 4wd unless I turned the vehicle off and let it sit for awhile before restarting the truck. They flashed the Transmission Control Module, however that did not fix the problem. They also traced all the wiring and were unable to find any issues that may be causing a short etc. At this time, they are replacing the TCM with the hopes that there was a glitch in the TCM.

I've also had a rattle in my front passenger seat that will not go away. I've brought the truck in at least 5-6 times thus far and they have done everything possible to diagnose the problem. They started by tightening down all the wiring, thinking it was a loose wire in the seat. The next time they adjusted the B Pillar thinking it may have been the seat belt. The third time they greased everything really well and attempted to tighten everything down on the frame of the seat. The fourth time they actually replaced the seat itself and there is STILL a rattle in the seat when I drive the vehicle. The passenger seat vibrates a fair amount ( I know all seats do this, but this one seems to have a much more aggressive vibration to it). The truck is still not fixed in regards to this issue and is going back to the dealer in the morning.

Smaller issues that I've had are that my Ipod Nano (First generation & Latest Generation) will not auto disconnect from the truck when I turn the truck off. The only way I can make sure the Ipod sync's with the system is to unplug the USB before I turn the vehicle off and then plug it back in when I turn the vehicle on to go somewhere. I also have had a few instances where the front radio screen will go black when I put the truck in park and will not come back on until I turn the truck off and back on. The last is the LED bulbs in the rear entertainment system. I've had an issue with the driver's side rear LED light flickering when the overhead lights are on. Since it is an LED, it's not as simple as replacing a bulb and going on my merry way.

As of this time, I've been assigned a customer care tech through GM and have been given a case number. They are renting me a vehicle through a national rental company so that they can take my vehicle in and diagnose all the issues with the TCM and the rattle in the seat. At this point my dealer has started to whisper ideas of maybe going the Lemon Law route, but I haven't really explored that option to in-depth.

As I find out details and go through the process, I will certainly keep everyone updated on my progress. I just wanted to detail all of my issues in the event that others were having similar problems out there.

15denali

Reaction score
I am having the same 4Auto issues on my 15. Speedo went out a few weeks ago and now my front struts are going bad and leaking oil. My seat was loose at some point as well. They fixed that, but I do get a slight bit of movement at times. The alarm system is also acting up lately. Keep us updated.

B

OP
OP
M

MissouriYukon16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The TCM has been on national back order and I've been waiting for about 2 weeks for them to get one in. The new TCM is suppose to go in tomorrow or Wednesday, however they are going to keep the car and drive it to try and diagnose what is causing the seat rattle since they have fixed/tightened everything on Seat #1 and now it's still doing it with Seat #2.

I'll certainly keep you in the loop. I will say, GM Corporate has really stepped up and they have stayed true thus far on what they told me. I've always received follow up phone calls from the customer care tech exactly when he said he would call and they also put me in a rental Yukon on their dime until the problem can be resolved.

OP
OP
M

MissouriYukon16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a quick update.... The TCM was not replaced, however the TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module) was. The truck appears to shift much better and feel firmer and I have also not noticed any warnings on my Evic for about the past week.

As far as the rattle, that has still not been resolved. GM recommended to heat shrink ALL wiring, shim the seat to make sure it doesn't rattle and grease the frame rails. I still have the rattle AND I now have another shutter in the seat as I start to slow my truck down to a stop. ( I believe this is due to the extra shims). The tech feels the rattle that I'm hearing is coming from the cooling fan, however they aren't quite sure why it is making the noise. The truck is going back in to them next week for them to diagnose the cause of the vibrations since there is nothing else left to possibly do to the seat. They have logged well over 5 days on working on this seat and neither the GM techs on the phone, nor the service staff can figure out why the seat rattles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter72