$1500 stupidness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phdlock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Use compound to clean up scuffs then brush touch the areas with no paint. It will hide a lot. Repaint will never hold up to bumps like original paint will. Other alternative is to find a bumper from a salvage yard in proper color with no damage.

Reaction score
If you have the rear cross traffic alert option / blind spot detection option...make sure the inside corner bracket (look inside that bumper directly behind the area of impact) that holds the field detection module (also called object sensor) isn’t broken, it happened to mine, bumper replacement was only option...discovered after it was in bodyshop. (Bought my truck used and wanted to fix this exact same pre-existing condition).

Last edited:

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Chalk it up to the aging process of the vehicle.

First Buff out the scuff.

Some dealers use a touch up guy maybe you can find a guy like that.

You should be able to fix it yourself if you have basic mechanical skills, anything is better than a big black spot that your eve goes right to. Summit white touch up ought to do the trick.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buff it out and call it good or you’ll have to repaint the whole thing and prolly blend the surrounding areas. That’s what a good painter will do. Maybe why they want $1500. Depends on how picky you are. They’re covering their *****.

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheaper to not cut people off. :p

Total douche move on my part. But if you’re gonna go slow in the fast lane, expect it.

Thank you all for your thoughts but the trucks still fairly new, it’s only got 20k on it so getting it fixed properly is the only course of action. This $1500 will make me second guess cutting someone off for the next 24-36 months.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit up local dealerships and ask who they use. Alot use mobile paint guys, who mix on the spot and paint everything/anything. $1500 is too high, I'm pretty sure you can get the entire bumper replaced for less than that.. ;)

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the results of mobile paint? It's usually pretty terrible. You can get paint defects even painting in a controlled paint booth so doing it out in a parking lot with wind, variable temperatures, inconsistent air pressure, etc. doesn't turn out well. I'm not putting those guys down so please don't take it that way, they're just providing the desired service. If you're not picky then it might be good enough.

funymuny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having my 07 Yukon rear bumper repainted currently. It was lightly bumped, a few light scrapes...$600 to remove and repaint at a reputable shop. I opted to reuse the black step cover. Overall the truck is in very good condition; I bought new. I've already purchased a new one but wanted to hang onto my old one.