14 Tahoe Rough Idle + other symptoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following. Also have that stutter every few secs. And it will kinda shake or bog lightly while at stop lights. Have done everything you did except plugs, wires and injection cleaning (I use e85 tho so hopefully that will count as a cleaning)

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These motors try and idle as low as possible which results in a stumble. I tried many things with no luck but I was able to sort it out by running higher quality fuel and tuning the idle RPMs to be higher, I think I have it set to 600RPMs and it's very smooth now. I'm at 191,000 miles

OP
OP
J-14OverlandPjct

J-14OverlandPjct

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apologies everyone, we welcomed our 2nd baby boy into our lives recently and have been super busy!

Hey @iboughtatahoe23 , I was able to get it to smooth out a bit with a top end Seafoam treatment x 2, but the studder is still present. @Dustin Jackson how did you tune the idle rpm to be higher?

Also, I am not battling transmission slipping/hard-shifting issues at 165k miles. I had the transmission flushed due to high tranny temps, as well as a new filter. So far temps are staying in a normal range but shifting is rough/late from between 1-2-3. Added Lucas transmission slippage oil to no avail. The shifts seem more late than anything.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies everyone, we welcomed our 2nd baby boy into our lives recently and have been super busy!

Hey @iboughtatahoe23 , I was able to get it to smooth out a bit with a top end Seafoam treatment x 2, but the studder is still present. @Dustin Jackson how did you tune the idle rpm to be higher?

Also, I am not battling transmission slipping/hard-shifting issues at 165k miles. I had the transmission flushed due to high tranny temps, as well as a new filter. So far temps are staying in a normal range but shifting is rough/late from between 1-2-3. Added Lucas transmission slippage oil to no avail. The shifts seem more late than anything.
I had my fluid changed at 165 k as well. Transmission issues come and go for me but nothing to major I don’t think. Maybe just cold seals when I drive it first thing in the morning.

I’m starting to think it’s the engine mounts now rather than the idle itself bc the RPM gauge is steady at idle but I will still feel weird shakes. And they aren’t really even, but rather intermittent and I think it depends on things like the grade I’m on and how cold it is etc. I’m not really sure but I’m narrowing it down to the mounts. Bc I can’t think what else would cause light shaking/shivering when the RPM is always steady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20