10L80 - filled transmission at wrong temp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let the trans shop you talked to last diagnose it following the correct procedures.

Valve body may be the underlying cause but damage to the TCC may have already been done. If the converter damaged the trans in anyway, it's coming out for replacement. Trans shop will drop the pan and have a look at the bottom to see any evidence of pump damage...What typically happens is the converter internals being to break up, get sent into the pump at high speed, rapidly degrading the working surfaces. This will show up as lots of fine aluminum colored matter on the bottom of the pan and in the filter.

Let us know what they say once you have their report...
They gave me their "report" already, which was completely worthless, unfortunately. Here's what it says.

When first taking off I did get a flare going into 4th gear but didn’t get much shifting issues after that. Now the transmission was not completely cold either. It did have some bad torque converter shutter and I could imagine that it would be even worse when colder. So at the point that we need to replace the torque converter the transmission needs to come out. The valve bodies are known to have issues and the flare is very possibly from worn clutches. It would be in the best interest to do a complete overhaul at this time.

Seemed after they got my vehicle in, the turned their nose and just dealt with me as another number. I spoke to the tech yesterday, and he told me outright that he would *not* drop the pan unless he was going to rebuild the transmission, which is $11k to start with, and then he would drop the price as needed if/when he found things he could reuse. His "diagnostic" told me nothing that I didn't already know.

If I'm going to pay someone $11k to simply drop the pan for an inspection (which I can do myself) and to conduct a real diagnostic, I'll just pay an extra $1k and get an entirely new transmission. I just can't believe how inept/incompetent folks are these days. It's basically pick-your-poison: either you deal with a money grubbing shop who doesn't really care and immediately tells you to rebuild the transmission, or the stealership who doesn't know anything and defaults to just throwing parts at it to see what sticks.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They gave me their "report" already, which was completely worthless, unfortunately. Here's what it says.

Seemed after they got my vehicle in, the turned their nose and just dealt with me as another number. I spoke to the tech yesterday, and he told me outright that he would *not* drop the pan unless he was going to rebuild the transmission, which is $11k to start with, and then he would drop the price as needed if/when he found things he could reuse. His "diagnostic" told me nothing that I didn't already know.

If I'm going to pay someone $11k to simply drop the pan for an inspection (which I can do myself) and to conduct a real diagnostic, I'll just pay an extra $1k and get an entirely new transmission. I just can't believe how inept/incompetent folks are these days. It's basically pick-your-poison: either you deal with a money grubbing shop who doesn't really care and immediately tells you to rebuild the transmission, or the stealership who doesn't know anything and defaults to just throwing parts at it to see what sticks.
Sorry, I didn't see your post with that update (still don't).

While that sucks, you know how the old saying goes, "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" and you alluded to as much above.

Here's what I would do if I were you AND you plan on keeping the truck for the foreseeable future:
- Purchase a bi-directional scan tool - you cannot be DYI on modern, later model vehicles and not have one
- Purchase the Sonnax vacuum test machine and a small air pump - you'll need the air pump to work with the tester
- Purchase a DVOM with a set of probes, if you don't already have one
- Purchase the ATSG manual for the GM 10L transmission

Then read up on how the 10L works, what can go wrong and how to diagnose faults with the solenoids, valve body, spacer plate, channel plate, torque converter etc. Then take the vehicle on a test drive with your scan tool plugged in, showing live transmission and TCC data streams so you have an overall well-rounded picture of what's going on.

Once you confirm it's the TCC slipping, you can drop the pan and do a visual inspection of what's at the bottom...If you see a whole bunch of burnt material or piles of fine aluminum or brass-colored matter, you can stop your diagnosis, put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank the trans and converter for replacement. If what's in the pan is largely unremarkable, proceed to dropping the valve body and solenoids and performing your testing...If you find the TCC valves are worn, purchase the Sonnax replacement valve kits and install. If your DVOM shows a bad TCC solenoid and/or you have a DTC pointing to that solenoid, replace it.

Assuming no other clutch circuits show as worn on the tester, put the valve body back together and reinstall it, fill with fluid following correct procedures, perform any fast adapt relearn as required then take it for a test drive. Hopefully you can get away with fixing it by doing the above as it will be a lot less costly for you then having to replace the valve body or the entire transmission/TC.

Let us know what happens or if you have additional questions...

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I would do if I were you AND you plan on keeping the truck for the foreseeable future:
- Purchase a bi-directional scan tool - you cannot be DYI on modern, later model vehicles and not have one
- Purchase the Sonnax vacuum test machine and a small air pump - you'll need the air pump to work with the tester
- Purchase a DVOM with a set of probes, if you don't already have one
- Purchase the ATSG manual for the GM 10L transmission
What is a good bi-directional scan tool for this vehicle? I've asked in a number of places, haven't gotten a solid recommendation.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a good bi-directional scan tool for this vehicle? I've asked in a number of places, haven't gotten a solid recommendation.
Since it's so new, you may consider just purchasing a subscription to GMs online diagnostic module(s) - you can view costs and other info here.

If you have multiple vehicles of different manufacturers, all late model, then you may consider a Snap-On Zues or equivalent Autel (there may be others but those are the most common).

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good news, the dealership came through and knocked $2k off the total. So instead of $12k, I'm looking at $10k for a new GM transmission, everything installed, out the door. 3 year, 100k warranty.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well good news, the dealership came through and knocked $2k off the total. So instead of $12k, I'm looking at $10k for a new GM transmission, everything installed, out the door. 3 year, 100k warranty.
I say 'do it' if you can swing it...While expensive but it removes the transmission from being a source of stress for you during the next three years...You could replace the VB and TC in your current one only to have the transmission itself crap the bed in 6 months due to damage already sustained and be paying for everything all over again, anyways. Addressing it now ensures it gets done on your time table vs having the thing strand you somewhere...

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say 'do it' if you can swing it...While expensive but it removes the transmission from being a source of stress for you during the next three years...You could replace the VB and TC in your current one only to have the transmission itself crap the bed in 6 months due to damage already sustained and be paying for everything all over again, anyways. Addressing it now ensures it gets done on your time table vs having the thing strand you somewhere...
Agreed.

Order placed for new transmission. Waiting game begins now for it to come in and then get it installed.

Thanks so much everyone. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autel seems to be one of the best budget friendly brands, also have seen good things about TopDon.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apples to oranges but a small independent transmission shop I visited yesterday was quoting $4,200 for a remanufactured Ford 6R80 and $1,485 to remove and replace. Plus fluid, reprogramming, etc.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apples to oranges but a small independent transmission shop I visited yesterday was quoting $4,200 for a remanufactured Ford 6R80.
Yep, I saw the same thing with this whole debacle. 6-speed and 8-speed transmissions were selling for about half the price.

The odd thing I did discover is that most of the 10x80 (x because it's any 10-speed) failures I've read and heard about were the 10R80, which is exactly the same, or 95% the same as the 10L80. I've only ever read about a handful of the GM transmissions ever failing. My dealership never even serviced a 10L80 until now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan