10L80 - filled transmission at wrong temp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

Order placed for new transmission. Waiting game begins now for it to come in and then get it installed.

Thanks so much everyone. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!
Just curious, what is the core charge for the transmission?
A core charge is what you would pay if you choose not to send your old transmission back.

15burban

Reaction score
Just curious did you check around at junkyards for a used one? It's a couple hundred miles away from me but a quick check on car-part.com for your 19 there was one with like 11k miles on it for a little over $3k. Some even come with warranties.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious did you check around at junkyards for a used one? It's a couple hundred miles away from me but a quick check on car-part.com for your 19 there was one with like 11k miles on it for a little over $3k. Some even come with warranties.
I did initially, but I just don't want to go that route. Most likely, something is going to be wrong with it in the near future, and I'd go through this all over again.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I saw the same thing with this whole debacle. 6-speed and 8-speed transmissions were selling for about half the price.

The odd thing I did discover is that most of the 10x80 (x because it's any 10-speed) failures I've read and heard about were the 10R80, which is exactly the same, or 95% the same as the 10L80. I've only ever read about a handful of the GM transmissions ever failing. My dealership never even serviced a 10L80 until now.
I believe the Ford 10 speed has an issue with some sort of a bushing and/or drum "sliding" and blocking some fluid ports resulting in a harsh and/or delayed shift.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I saw the same thing with this whole debacle. 6-speed and 8-speed transmissions were selling for about half the price.

The odd thing I did discover is that most of the 10x80 (x because it's any 10-speed) failures I've read and heard about were the 10R80, which is exactly the same, or 95% the same as the 10L80. I've only ever read about a handful of the GM transmissions ever failing. My dealership never even serviced a 10L80 until now.
My dealer said the exact same thing. Never had a bad 10 speed behind a gas motor. All they have ever done is fluid and filters. This is a very busy dealer doing tons of warranty work. They had over 7 new trucks in there with lifters and bottom ends just the day I was there. Warned me not to buy anything over aa 2020.

Its alot of money but thats a lot of warranty thats good anywhere in the USA. I think you went the right route.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This afternoon I inspected a 2018 Sierra Denali (8L90) with a warranty claim for an apparent shudder with less than 58,000 miles. It seemed to me that when the shudder was apparent than the RPMs would increase or flare and then drop off. It also seemed that the shudder was less apparent or non-existent when in tow-haul mode.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This afternoon I inspected a 2018 Sierra Denali (8L90) with a warranty claim for an apparent shudder with less than 58,000 miles. It seemed to me that when the shudder was apparent than the RPMs would increase or flare and then drop off. It also seemed that the shudder was less apparent or non-existent when in tow-haul mode.
This is a very common known issue. They try to get it done with a flush but that only works for half the people. There is no flushing a TC. The issue is the torque converter. The aftermarket has improved TC's that are an upgrade and solution. I had a 2017 with the 8 speed and loved it. If I were buying a clean nice truck 8 speed, I'd do a flush with new fluid then pull trans and put a new aftermarket TC, then new fluid again and move on. My 2015 Denali had TC replaced after flush didnt work. My 2017 never had the issue but traded before 40K. My 2 10 speeds have been fantastic.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a very common known issue. They try to get it done with a flush but that only works for half the people. There is no flushing a TC. The issue is the torque converter. The aftermarket has improved TC's that are an upgrade and solution. I had a 2017 with the 8 speed and loved it. If I were buying a clean nice truck 8 speed, I'd do a flush with new fluid then pull trans and put a new aftermarket TC, then new fluid again and move on. My 2015 Denali had TC replaced after flush didnt work. My 2017 never had the issue but traded before 40K. My 2 10 speeds have been fantastic.
It was a nice riding truck. Suspension seemed stiffer than my 2019 Yukon SLT, which I actually prefer as I feel my SLT rides too soft, yet surprised as the Denali has Magneride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts