10-speed auto trans fluid filler adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search this P/N: DT-51190 - fluid fill pan adapter

That's the part for the 8spd at least. I find it easier to simply pop out the fill bunk on the passenger side and fill. Then use the drain plug to check/set the level. The drain has a stand-pipe in it so if you're in the proper operating range required for fluid check let it drain until it starts dripping then put in the plug. I'm not sure on the 10spd, but for the 8spd in my Denali the correct range to check fluid is between 95-113F. And... because you have thermal bypass (trans thermostat) it doesn't engage until 194 so technically they say to get the trans temp above that so the bypass opens and circulates fluid through the cooler lines and then let it cool back down to that check range of 95-113F. I've done it a few times now and it's pretty easy.
Again, this is for the 8spd... might want to confirm the ranges for the 10spd.

Hi Wings-

Did you drop the pan or just suck out the old fluid and refill?

I had mine done- filter/pan drop at dealer 45k, but want to do it on my own next time. Wondering how you got pan past exhaust crossover:

remove manifold?
Strap/ jack exhaust down to clear?
Disconnect 2 rear solenoids?
Or just pivot pan towards passenger side

these 4 ways I’ve read about , all work. I’d rather not stress the exhaust by bending it...

Curious how you dropped pan, if you went that route.

Thanks
SOS

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Hi Wings-

Did you drop the pan or just suck out the old fluid and refill?

I had mine done- filter/pan drop at dealer 45k, but want to do it on my own next time. Wondering how you got pan past exhaust crossover:

remove manifold?
Strap/ jack exhaust down to clear?
Disconnect 2 rear solenoids?
Or just pivot pan towards passenger side

these 4 ways I’ve read about , all work. I’d rather not stress the exhaust by bending it...

Curious how you dropped pan, if you went that route.

Thanks
SOS

I used a Mitivac to pump out the majority. Just insert into the rubber plug once removed on the passenger side of the trans and you'll get the majority. After that there will be very little fluid left in the pan once you drop it.
As for the exhaust y-pipe... it's not really that big of a deal. I don't use the jack or strap method. I just lie on my back steady the pan with one hand and use a pry bar wedged between the y-pipe and the cross member. You really don't need to move it much at all to clear the pan... I had no concern with stressing it. You're really not moving it much at all. You'll see it makes sense once you're under doing it.
Once you get the pan off you can do the normal cleaning of the pan and magnets, check gasket (I just replace regardless), change filter and put it back together.

One note... if you haven't replaced your trans temp sensor just order it and do it since you're already in there. It's a simple replacement. You need it to be accurate to ensure proper fluid level check temp range. Mine was acting up so I just replace it since I didn't want to drop the pan again.

Once you're done and have everything buttoned up, I just pump in the new fluid using the same rubber plug port on the passenger side.

The biggest thing with all of this is to set aside the time and don't rush it. It's not hard but time consuming and procedural.

Side note, I received an extended warranty bulletin from GM a while back regarding the trans temp sensor replacement. You may want to check with your dealer if it applies to your vehicle. If it does, they'll replace the sensor under warranty. Which all means you get a free fluid change ;) That being said, I'd trust it more doing it myself and then just having them reimburse for the part which they'll also do if it applies to your vehicle.

Hope all that rambling helps.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a Mitivac to pump out the majority. Just insert into the rubber plug once removed on the passenger side of the trans and you'll get the majority. After that there will be very little fluid left in the pan once you drop it.
As for the exhaust y-pipe... it's not really that big of a deal. I don't use the jack or strap method. I just lie on my back steady the pan with one hand and use a pry bar wedged between the y-pipe and the cross member. You really don't need to move it much at all to clear the pan... I had no concern with stressing it. You're really not moving it much at all. You'll see it makes sense once you're under doing it.
Once you get the pan off you can do the normal cleaning of the pan and magnets, check gasket (I just replace regardless), change filter and put it back together.

One note... if you haven't replaced your trans temp sensor just order it and do it since you're already in there. It's a simple replacement. You need it to be accurate to ensure proper fluid level check temp range. Mine was acting up so I just replace it since I didn't want to drop the pan again.

Once you're done and have everything buttoned up, I just pump in the new fluid using the same rubber plug port on the passenger side.

The biggest thing with all of this is to set aside the time and don't rush it. It's not hard but time consuming and procedural.

Side note, I received an extended warranty bulletin from GM a while back regarding the trans temp sensor replacement. You may want to check with your dealer if it applies to your vehicle. If it does, they'll replace the sensor under warranty. Which all means you get a free fluid change ;) That being said, I'd trust it more doing it myself and then just having them reimburse for the part which they'll also do if it applies to your vehicle.

Hope all that rambling helps.

Thanks for the input! Very appreciated!

I’ll certainly check for the trans sensor bulletin.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wings, thanks again. I did this in the spring without any issue:

Then, in late Aug/ early Sept, I brought it to the dealer for the temp sensor fix . Done under warranty, which meant I got another ~8qts fresh fluid.

It shifts nicely finally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr