1" blocks needed for 14 bolt swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kelly1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I acquired a 14 bolt sf 6-lug from a '89 light duty 3/4 ton truck and am collecting parts for the swap under my 1997 tahoe 4wd. I noticed the is little to no gap between the axle tube and underside of the spring perch mount on the 14 bolt but there is about an inch gap between the perch mount and axle tube on my 10 bolt in the tahoe.

does this mean I'll be sitting about an inch lower in the rear after the swap?

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Possibly.

Measure from the axle centerline to the top of the perch on both axles. The 14 bolt might have bigger axle tubes, so you might not need a block.

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14 Bolts have bigger axle tubes.

GM 10 Bolts and 12 Bolts have 3inch axle tubes

GM 14 Bolts (SF and FF) have 3.375inch axle tubes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kelly1

Reaction score
Pretty sure it was 4wd, so i was told. it measures 68" wms to wms and spring perch center to center appears to be the same as my 4wd tahoe.

I didn't know if the 6 lug sf in a 3/4 ton would have a different spring perch mount due to extra leafs from factory vs. a 1/2 ton application. Again, I'm just making sure I have my bases covered before I start the swap. It's my daily driver.

I've read countless threads on this swap and have the u-bolts, u-joint, etc.. all squared away but noticed the different 'height' in perch mounts. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kelly1

Reaction score
Excellent. THanks! I will check into the perch mount height hopefully this weekend and keep everyone posted.

boznm8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey,

I am getting ready to do the same swap. I have a 99 tahoe 4x4 2dr with a 10 bolt 3.73. Getting a 14 bolt semi floater from a 95 or 96 2500 w/ 6 lug and 3.73s also. I have found lots of posts on this, but none seem to specific on parts needed, nor on the whole project, just pieces of it. I'm wondering if you might share what parts and methods you did to get your swap done successfully? Any info appreciated!

Should have the rear on the way today, and I already have a new detroit locker to throw in it. Hopefully the gears will be in good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts