09 Yukon trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodworth87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys just joined cause I'm at a loss. The wife has a 09 Yukon xl with 5.3 V8. In morning especially when cold it starts popping in the intake. It will die it will rev to 3k and stay there then come down popping and die. Also at same time the stabilitrak turns itself off. Eventually it does level out enough to drive but it takes longer the colder it gets. I had codes read and it said maf sensor so we replaced it and had codes cleared. Engine light came back on saying maf sensor so got another one and replaced it again. Then code said throttle position sensor so we replaced it too but hasn't helped. And more and more lately at stop lights the dash dings and says stabilitrak has turned off on its own and it starts idling rough even when warm. It sounds awful when it starts either revving itself to 3 k and holding it there and if you tap gas it revs up more and holds about 4k or popping in intake and idling so rough that all lights are dimming then dies until we start it about 10 times. Any advice is appreciated.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hey guys just joined cause I'm at a loss. The wife has a 09 Yukon xl with 5.3 V8. In morning especially when cold it starts popping in the intake. It will die it will rev to 3k and stay there then come down popping and die. Also at same time the stabilitrak turns itself off. Eventually it does level out enough to drive but it takes longer the colder it gets. I had codes read and it said maf sensor so we replaced it and had codes cleared. Engine light came back on saying maf sensor so got another one and replaced it again. Then code said throttle position sensor so we replaced it too but hasn't helped. And more and more lately at stop lights the dash dings and says stabilitrak has turned off on its own and it starts idling rough even when warm. It sounds awful when it starts either revving itself to 3 k and holding it there and if you tap gas it revs up more and holds about 4k or popping in intake and idling so rough that all lights are dimming then dies until we start it about 10 times. Any advice is appreciated.
Sounds like mine before I had the dod/afm tuned out the computer. Every time it would drop into 4cyl mode it would sound like a ticking time bomb
And then the stabilitrack would always act up and couldn’t ever find a permanent solution so that was also “tuned out” the computer so even though the lights on in the dash it don’t give me the rough idle hard shifts etc. how many miles? If I remember correctly I had a similar issue on the revving by itself too over a faulty tps/throttle body
I ended up porting out a new TB and replaced the old one. There’s been PLENTY of times I’ve gotten alternators and sensors that were bad right out of the box too so don’t be surprised by that also.
I preach on getting a tune and I swear it’s the only reason I’ve been able to get my Tahoe to almost 370,000 miles with the original dod lifters not collapsing from going in and out of flexfuel

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your going to need a code reader that displays live data when the truck is running. Without one its a guessing game. If you plan on keeping the truck and doing the work yourself it's worth the purchase.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an OBDII adapter that read live data and codes? If so, what are the current codes and what are the Long Term Fuel Trims once the engine is warmed up?

When was the last time you inspected the spark plugs and wires? I once bought a muscle car 25% off the going rate because the spark plugs were gapped wrong and the motor was misfiring and popping like you describe.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019