09 Hybrid tail-lights and swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ta-Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings- first time post, been lurking for months.

My 09 Hybrid has some funky stuff going on with the tail-lights harness. Part 15895247 (driver's side rear lights harness) has some bad connectors and unfortunately it appears to be NLA. Local salvage yards don't ever end up with Hybrids, so that's a bust. Has anybody changed out the Hybrid rear lights with non-Hybrid lights? This is assuming the rear light harnesses must also be replaced. The driver's side light assembly works fine swapped out to the right side, and I traced some nasty "twist wires together and tape it up" in the tail-light harness on the left side. I fixed those issue then found some corrosion on the pigtails for the L:ED assembling and marker light- which appears to be the real culprit since that light will not light up (but swapped to the right side rear it will).

I can probably find the individual pigtail connectors eventually; but I'd prefer a "complete" solution- and I'd prefer tapping the deeper knowledge base here before I break out my soldering iron.

So- shorter version: can the 09 Hybrid tail-lights be swapped with non-hybrid lights provided I also swap tail-light harnesses?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I can help since I've never had a tail light issue. I've not even replaced a bulb but might be able to look at a wiring diagram and compare.

what truck do you have? I know the yukons have different tail lights from the base to the Denali but I don't think they look any different hybrid denali to normal denali. I'm a bit torn, sometimes I like the base lights better because the denali lights remind me of that Toyota altezza tail light fad that went around the import world for years and looked tacky, but I'm not sure it bugs me enough to actually swap them. I have swapped the headlights cause I couldn't take the stock yukon massive headlights that are always fogged up.

tahoe I haven't noticed any difference in the tail lights between trim levels. but I've only seen like 1 or 2 hybrid ones in real life. what exact models are you trying to swap lights between?

OP
OP
T

Ta-Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Our 09 Tahoe is the Hybrid- different tail-light harness and connectors from the rest of the Tahoes (Thanks, Chevy!). I have some non-Hybrid lights that purportedly were a direct swap in but they're not- not without changing harness too. I'll be headed to a salvage yard tomorrow, so as long as I find either a 'Hoe or Escalade (very likely) or a Yukon/Suburban (guaranteed) I'll be able to obtain the harnesses for both rear lights. I feel your agony RE: the altezza lights. First time I saw them I was intrigued. Then everybody and their pet monkey's former owner installed them. Maybe not as bad as bro-dozer mallcrawlers and squatting trucks, but bad enough.

Whatever I find I'll post here; if I can find all the pigtails, I'm not above fabricating my own harness, but if I can source a complete one, all the better.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used connectorpeople.com to find connectors for my 07 Denali that were not easily available elsewhere. If they have it, you may have to purchase a minimum quantity of them, but so what. Give them a try.

OP
OP
T

Ta-Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, Joseph- that's actually very helpful. A minimum quantity is a small price to pay when talking about our Hoe-Hoe (wife's name for our Tahoe). We're about to head out to several salvage yards shortly- none have the correct model but GM connectors are relatively ubiquitous and as long as I find the right ones, I can cut-n-splice so something works.

OP
OP
T

Ta-Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Junkyards were a bust. Oddball Chevy connectors! Anyway, got home, went underneath and pulled the plastic bayonet that keeps the connector for the driver's side tail-light harness. I was aniticpating doing some hopscotch with my voltmeter but... Oooohhh, the connector itself was cocked, not straight and locked! I wiggled to bust loose corrosion (if any), slid the bayonet back in and voila, tail-lights work now. >sigh<

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Joseph- that's actually very helpful. A minimum quantity is a small price to pay when talking about our Hoe-Hoe (wife's name for our Tahoe). We're about to head out to several salvage yards shortly- none have the correct model but GM connectors are relatively ubiquitous and as long as I find the right ones, I can cut-n-splice so something works.
the normal tahoe light isn't going to work 6 wires vs 5 wires

the turn signal is separate from the brake light while both are combined

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings- first time post, been lurking for months.

My 09 Hybrid has some funky stuff going on with the tail-lights harness. Part 15895247 (driver's side rear lights harness) has some bad connectors and unfortunately it appears to be NLA. Local salvage yards don't ever end up with Hybrids, so that's a bust. Has anybody changed out the Hybrid rear lights with non-Hybrid lights? This is assuming the rear light harnesses must also be replaced. The driver's side light assembly works fine swapped out to the right side, and I traced some nasty "twist wires together and tape it up" in the tail-light harness on the left side. I fixed those issue then found some corrosion on the pigtails for the L:ED assembling and marker light- which appears to be the real culprit since that light will not light up (but swapped to the right side rear it will).

I can probably find the individual pigtail connectors eventually; but I'd prefer a "complete" solution- and I'd prefer tapping the deeper knowledge base here before I break out my soldering iron.

So- shorter version: can the 09 Hybrid tail-lights be swapped with non-hybrid lights provided I also swap tail-light harnesses?

YWGBrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the normal tahoe light isn't going to work 6 wires vs 5 wires

the turn signal is separate from the brake light while both are combined
I did the Cadillac escalade light on my truck and it was plug and play.8f69c95c-7ae8-4bd2-aca0-2a8302694036.jpgae1919ae-3420-4d61-bd07-c56e101f0cc9.jpg

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Cadillac escalade light on my truck and it was plug and play.View attachment 414917View attachment 414916

it might be the hybrid yukon tails lights are different than the hybrid tahoe, since the Tahoe used a different aluminum hatch, the yukon doesn't. but after seeing your post I took a chance and ordered some tail lights that said except hybrid. thinking eh, I'll just move some wires if need be.

but happy to say they worked perfectly. the reverse light sockets do seem to take a different style. bulbs, the oem one works, but feels a bit loose. I was going to cross reference the Tahoe bulb and see what they used. but either way, I'm happy to get rid of the oem lights I didn't like.

Attachments

• PXL_20240110_001718794.jpg
    PXL_20240110_001718794.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter