08yukon fuel fill issue!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chadman3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Hi new to Yukon forum and desperate for help. Since having a new fuel pump installed I've recently had problems filling my gas tank at the pump. 50 cents in, pump stops over and over again, spilling gas onto the ground and taking 15-20 minutes to fill. After watching a few videos and doing a lot of research I have now changed both the evap vent valve canister/solonoid and the charcoal canister. Both of these items are have been claimed to be the main culprits of my problem. I have also checked for blockage in the fill line, none. And I made sure the baffle in the gas tank at the fill tubes entry operates as it should, which it does. I don't know what move to make next to solve this problem please help. Now I'm afraid with the fill tube overflowing constantly I'm now destroying my new charcoal canister!!! After this list of parts I've already installed you can understand why taking it to the dealer is not really an option at this point.

Bill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with my 2005 Tahoe. I changed the evap vent valve in December (had already changed it twice previously at 65k mile intervals, and it solved the problem both those times). I changed the charcoal canister in February, but that still didn't solve he problem. So, I assume I either have a restriction in the hose between the fuel pump and charcoal canister, or in the tube it attaches to on the fuel pump assembly. The evap vent valve does work properly, and I can disconnect from the charcoal canister and easily blow air though it. At 12 years old and 145k miles, I'm not in the mood to dump a lot of money into it, so I have just resolved to spending 15 minutes at the gas station each week, although I am not looking forward to summer. Also, when the tank gets below 3/4 full, I get the 'tighten gas cap' message on the DIC if it sits for more than about 4 hours between start-ups.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a venting issue i believe. on one of my cars/trucks i used to have to turn the nozzle upside down to pump, temporary solution at best, but more efficient then clicking pump 19,000x..

Bill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not the solution. The tank won't vent. The pressure in the tank builds up as the fuel is pumped, and the gas (as in not liquid) builds up but can't vent (either at all or quick enough) through the charcoal canister and evap vent valve, so the pressure returns back up the other vent line to the fuel pump nozzle and causes fuel flow to stop. I have found that if the fuel pump allows, I can pump continuously at about 1.5 gallons per minute. Of course, for our vehicles, that's over 13 minutes for 20 gallons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879