08 Tahoe - LED/HID Install - Strange Problems / Side effects - HELP Needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08_NJ_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So first I'll list what we installed on my brothers 2008 Tahoe LT and then get into the issues and questions at hand.

Installed:
1) 35W 6000K HID kit in Low Beams and Fog Lamps (No Relays Used)
2) LED DRL's
3) LED Reverse Lamps
4) LED License Plate Bulbs
5) LED Dome/Map Light Bulbs (6 Total)

*All LED's & HID's from v-leds.com

Issues:
1) At night turning on any dome/map light manually (Pushing the Button) or opening a vanity visor results in loss of center console backlighting as well as gauge cluster backlighting.

2) Pressing any dome/map lamp button manually does not illuminate the selected bulb.

Otherwise all dome/map lamps work fine during regular door opening and lock/unlock events.

So, I figured this might be an issue of low draw from the LED's (Maybe resistor needed) but to test this theory I returned all interior bulbs back to stock and both mentioned issues above still remain. Logically, this make me now believe that one or more of the exterior bulb upgrades is to blame, but before I go any further I wanted to see if others have experienced such issues and have been able to pinpoint the cause.

I have spent many hours searching this forum as well as Google searching, I found one post from a year and a half ago displaying very similar issues, but there was no further post or response. I have also found extensive 20+ page threads on this site about dome/map lamp dimming issues (which I don't have) requiring resistors or a constant 12v source, but nothing about loss of gauge/console backlighting. My test of returning to stock interior bulbs while still experiencing the issues above further supports my belief in a link to an exterior upgrade cause, but I am open to all suggestions or personal experiences.

Sorry for going on and on but this is driving both of us crazy! I have upgraded interior and exterior lighting on many other cars and trucks (Jeeps - Scion - Toyota - Infiniti) and never had any issues, let alone strange ones such as these. Calling all lighting and Tahoe experts to the table on this one, Please Help if you can... :help::confused: Thanks in advance!

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you 'undo' the exterior mods one by one to see if you can pinpoint which mod is causing this?

OP
OP

08_NJ_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you 'undo' the exterior mods one by one to see if you can pinpoint which mod is causing this?

We could, kinda figured that was the next step, but wanted to get some feedback or personal experiances first. Does is make any sense why exterior lighting would be tied into interior circuts? :badidea: Could it be the low beams since the HIDs are 35w not 55w like the oem halogens? Nobody else seems to be reporting such side effects?

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed a weird situation especially if you're the only one seeing these issues. The electrical systems in these trucks are tied in weird ways. I know on the nbs trucks, led tails without built in resistors can cause one to lose their cruise control. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

OP
OP

08_NJ_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*** Update/Solved***

*** Update/Solved*** :pepper:

After doing an intensive lamp-by-lamp uninstall and still being left with problems mentioned earlier in this thread I looked for a more logical answer and found it!

On the 2008 Tahoe or similar I'm guessing - Pop open the Interior Fuse Box on the left side of the drivers side dash - Locate Fuse #17 - Labeled "IS LPS" which is a Red 10A fuse towards the right side - Check for blown fuse, If so there should be a spare attached to the fuse door panel :) This was a lucky desperation find, never really suspected a fuse since all the lighting worked in one way or another, just abnormally, but sure enough this interior lamp fuse was blown and once replace all the lighting works as it should in auto and manual settings.

Hope this helps other as this issue took months to resolve with no searchable solutions to be found online anywhere... will repost in my dedicated thread to spread the knowledge! :happy107:

Boyd

Reaction score
Hey Tony. Hopefully I just stumbled right into the answer to this dome light issue! Thank you for your time. Wish me luck and I hope you have an awesome week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019