08 Tahoe Hybrid no start/ no crank after AFM valve replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_0946.jpegIMG_1253.jpeg

Hey all, I'm looking for some help and thoughts on an issue I have been battling with my 08 Tahoe Hybrid. I recently had an issue with a collapsed AFM lifter so replaced all of the valves. Due to the cathedral heads I needed to remove the valve covers, Heads, Intake, Exhaust Manifolds, and the valley cover. In the process of doing the valve replacements I replaced the valley cover plate, the valves, the spark plugs and the gaskets. I also replaced the water pump as I noticed that there was a leak from the weep hole on the pump. Prior to removing any of these parts I disconnected the 12V accessory battery and then removed the disconnect from the hybrid battery. I had to pull the wiring harness from the top of the engine which runs from the left side to the right and connects to the Hybrid control box on the right side as well as the coils, fuel injectors, and a handful of other devices. There was 3 ground wires that were disconnected in the process which I have verified are all secure back in the original locations.

The problem I am currently facing is that upon reassembly the vehicle will not crank over. I get the radio and all other systems as though there are no problems. When I try to crank the engine I get no crank. I checked the power in the accessory battery which tests out at 13.2v. According to my scanner the hybrid battery has 12.4V (assuming that its the hybrid battery voltage that its showing me).

I get a Service Hybrid System on the DIC and no codes currently on the scanner. I have pulled and replaced the disconnect as well to ensure it was seated and clean.

Prior to the AFM valve issue the hybrid system was working flawless. Even during the AFM issue it had no problems.

Currently the scanner for voltage with key on shows:
vpwr ($00) 11.355
vpwr ($01) 11.355
vpwr ($02) 11.355
vpwr ($03) 11.355
vpwr ($05) 11.355
vpwr ($07) 11.355

With key off shows:
vpwr ($00) 0.049
vpwr ($01) 0.032
vpwr ($02) 0.000
vpwr ($03) 0.000
vpwr ($05) 11.562
vpwr ($07) 11.670

I believe that the first 5 of these vpwr are the hybrid battery banks and vpwr07 is the accessory 12v battery. These have lost some voltage since the last jump and testing.

I did jump the vehicle and used my multimeter to measure the voltage on the accessory battery at 13.4v and the vpwr ranged between 12.4-12.8v

I read that jumping the vehicle with the key on can cause the system to think that there was a collision which disables the crank. When I jumped the vehicle the key was off; however, I did turn it on after about 10 minutes charging to get the voltage levels. I can't imagine that this would have caused it to go into safety mode could it? I didn't jump the vehicle prior to trying to turn it over unsuccessfully. Only after it would not crank thinking that the voltage in the batteries may have dropped in the week it was disconnected while I was replacing the valves. I did check all the fuses with a multimeter to verify they were good and did not come across and bad fuses. I also disconnected and reconnected the plugs to the hybrid system after a visual inspection for corrosion or bent pins. Everything looks great.

I am at a complete loss on what to check or where to go from here besides finding a tech2 scanner to put the system in jump mode and disable the collision detection (if its on)... The scanner is fairly expensive and there are a lot of warnings about buying these and getting china knockoffs so thats obviously a concern.

Can anyone help or throw me some ideas on where to go from here?

Sorry for the long write up. I just wanted to give as much data as I could in hopes someone may have experienced similar issues or has some idea on what to do besides the tech2. I love this car but am pulling my hair out at this point.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 395441View attachment 395442

Hey all, I'm looking for some help and thoughts on an issue I have been battling with my 08 Tahoe Hybrid. I recently had an issue with a collapsed AFM lifter so replaced all of the valves. Due to the cathedral heads I needed to remove the valve covers, Heads, Intake, Exhaust Manifolds, and the valley cover. In the process of doing the valve replacements I replaced the valley cover plate, the valves, the spark plugs and the gaskets. I also replaced the water pump as I noticed that there was a leak from the weep hole on the pump. Prior to removing any of these parts I disconnected the 12V accessory battery and then removed the disconnect from the hybrid battery. I had to pull the wiring harness from the top of the engine which runs from the left side to the right and connects to the Hybrid control box on the right side as well as the coils, fuel injectors, and a handful of other devices. There was 3 ground wires that were disconnected in the process which I have verified are all secure back in the original locations.

The problem I am currently facing is that upon reassembly the vehicle will not crank over. I get the radio and all other systems as though there are no problems. When I try to crank the engine I get no crank. I checked the power in the accessory battery which tests out at 13.2v. According to my scanner the hybrid battery has 12.4V (assuming that its the hybrid battery voltage that its showing me).

I get a Service Hybrid System on the DIC and no codes currently on the scanner. I have pulled and replaced the disconnect as well to ensure it was seated and clean.

Prior to the AFM valve issue the hybrid system was working flawless. Even during the AFM issue it had no problems.

Currently the scanner for voltage with key on shows:
vpwr ($00) 11.355
vpwr ($01) 11.355
vpwr ($02) 11.355
vpwr ($03) 11.355
vpwr ($05) 11.355
vpwr ($07) 11.355

With key off shows:
vpwr ($00) 0.049
vpwr ($01) 0.032
vpwr ($02) 0.000
vpwr ($03) 0.000
vpwr ($05) 11.562
vpwr ($07) 11.670

I believe that the first 5 of these vpwr are the hybrid battery banks and vpwr07 is the accessory 12v battery. These have lost some voltage since the last jump and testing.

I did jump the vehicle and used my multimeter to measure the voltage on the accessory battery at 13.4v and the vpwr ranged between 12.4-12.8v

I read that jumping the vehicle with the key on can cause the system to think that there was a collision which disables the crank. When I jumped the vehicle the key was off; however, I did turn it on after about 10 minutes charging to get the voltage levels. I can't imagine that this would have caused it to go into safety mode could it? I didn't jump the vehicle prior to trying to turn it over unsuccessfully. Only after it would not crank thinking that the voltage in the batteries may have dropped in the week it was disconnected while I was replacing the valves. I did check all the fuses with a multimeter to verify they were good and did not come across and bad fuses. I also disconnected and reconnected the plugs to the hybrid system after a visual inspection for corrosion or bent pins. Everything looks great.

I am at a complete loss on what to check or where to go from here besides finding a tech2 scanner to put the system in jump mode and disable the collision detection (if its on)... The scanner is fairly expensive and there are a lot of warnings about buying these and getting china knockoffs so thats obviously a concern.

Can anyone help or throw me some ideas on where to go from here?

Sorry for the long write up. I just wanted to give as much data as I could in hopes someone may have experienced similar issues or has some idea on what to do besides the tech2. I love this car but am pulling my hair out at this point.
A Tech-2 is not expensive compared to what towing this to a shop will cost. It'll be a bargain.

I wonder if there are internal BCM codes related to the "Service Hybrid System" message. There may also be Failure Records to view on this as well.

Where do you live? We have a Tech-2 owner's thread where you can see if someone lives near you.

Your batteries all appear near dead. The under hood battery ought to be removed or placed on a trickle charger.

@RebelBelle

I didn't know that those 6.0 motors used the cathedral heads. Painting the VLOM looks cool. Is it new? It is SOP to replace the VLOM and lifter trays whenever the AFM system is repaired.

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks for your response swathdiver.​

I'll end up buying the computer if it comes to that long before I'll take it to the dealer. I'm sure I would end up needing it again at some point if I had to buy it. Wish my current scanner would work but of course they had to lock that out so only their scanner will access those specific items.

Yea its a new VLOM and trays. I try to follow SOP as much as possible. I'm not sure that painting it was really worth the time as it all gets covered anyhow but I like the way it looks lol.

What do you mean the hybrid battery is near dead? The highest I have ever seen those readings when the car was functioning correctly was in the 12-13v range as far as I can recall. It's my understanding that with the tech 2 you can put the car in jump assist mode and start it off the under hood 12v and i also read that without putting it into jump assist you cant get a charge to the hybrid battery itself; However, While I had cables on the 12v I watched the voltages climb into the mid 12's on the vpwr. I'm not 100% sure that the vpwn is the hybrid cell but I assume that's the case.

Even though the voltages seemed to come up I still got no crank after sitting on cables for about 20 minutes.

I don't see any code on my scanner but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I'm located in Eugene Oregon. It would be awesome if someone had one near here!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your response swathdiver.​

I'll end up buying the computer if it comes to that long before I'll take it to the dealer. I'm sure I would end up needing it again at some point if I had to buy it. Wish my current scanner would work but of course they had to lock that out so only their scanner will access those specific items.

Yea its a new VLOM and trays. I try to follow SOP as much as possible. I'm not sure that painting it was really worth the time as it all gets covered anyhow but I like the way it looks lol.

What do you mean the hybrid battery is near dead? The highest I have ever seen those readings when the car was functioning correctly was in the 12-13v range as far as I can recall. It's my understanding that with the tech 2 you can put the car in jump assist mode and start it off the under hood 12v and i also read that without putting it into jump assist you cant get a charge to the hybrid battery itself; However, While I had cables on the 12v I watched the voltages climb into the mid 12's on the vpwr. I'm not 100% sure that the vpwn is the hybrid cell but I assume that's the case.

Even though the voltages seemed to come up I still got no crank after sitting on cables for about 20 minutes.

I don't see any code on my scanner but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I'm located in Eugene Oregon. It would be awesome if someone had one near here!
I think @Rocket Man lives in or near Eugene. I had the opportunity recently to run my Tech-2 on two hybrids like yours. I don't remember everything I saw but it was pretty cool. Those key off numbers don't look good but I don't remember exactly what they mean.

Brent and Gene have hybrids and they may take a day or so to respond.

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. It would be awesome if there was someone close that could help me out. Lord knows I don't want to buy a computer right now but I guess I will have to plan for it in the near future here. Then I can at least be another resource for others that don't have one and need help. The situation is a bit odd though... It really doesn't make sense that it would suddenly die after having no issues with it prior which makes me think maybe there is a broken wire or something but I don't even know where to start to investigate that. I think from here the next step is the scanner to narrow down the issues unless anyone has any additional ideas?

In regards to the power being out to those cells with the key off, I believe that is normal from what I recall seeing before this while playing with the scanner on it.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His truck would need to run for him to make the drive..

My understandings of the Hybrid system for jump start is that you have to put a charger on the assy battery, and let it sit there for a good 4-24 hours at 12ish amps. This is so that the HCM can trickle charge the Hybrid battery pack, since the starter is only powered by the Hybrid battery pack.

What you have going on is very typical of a dead, or near dead, Hybrid Battery Pack.

The charge may work, it also may not work. And at this age, if it did go dead, is it going to take a charge.

May have to look into replacing the Hybrid Battery Pack if it wont take a charge.

Would need a Tech2 to know whats actually going on.

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey RocketMan, as TollKeeper said the car is not capable of traveling currently unless I put it on a car trailer which I have half a mind to do at this point but I would have to check with some friends about them helping me achieve that. I'm starting a new job slinging parts for BnR on Monday so am really trying to get it going before then if possible. It would certainly be easier to move the tool then the car. Would you mind posting a link to the specific tool you have? Would you consider renting it to me for a day? I could maybe leave something for collateral like my ring or something. I think I'll trickle charge it for a day or 2 first to see if that works though. I wouldn't be able to make the trip until the weekend anyways as I would need to steal my wifes car for the trip and she requires it for work. She runs an after school program so has to travel between sites.

TollKeeper, Thanks for the input. I'll get it on a charge for a few days and see if that helps. I'll post back about results.... hopefully the battery didn't faceplant; However, I would open it up and replace the bad cells which from what I priced run about $50-60.

Fless, It looks like OR Vietvet is located up near Portland as well by the falls. I'm prior military myself but it is a few hours between Eugene and Portland which raises the same issue as with RocketMan. I greatly appreciate the suggestion though!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OR Viet Vet was in Eugene, I don’t know if he’s still there. Send him a PM. Sorry but the only way I let any of my tools out of my sight is if I get a cash deposit equal to the value of the tool, I used to loan tools and learned my lesson. You can buy one on EBay but it will take awhile to get it depending on if you can find a seller with one in the US. Most are selling from China. Chinacardiags is the seller I used. I would send a PM to VietVet and see where he lives. There’s also a couple other devices others here have used that simulate a Tech2, I’m not familiar with them. Somebody else might chime in. Sorry, I didn’t read the entire thread before I posted about driving up here, didn’t realize it wasn’t running. I just saw somebody had alerted me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt