08 Escalade or keep my 03 Tahoe - Tahoe sold Esky bought!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pokémon

Reaction score
I currently own a 03 Tahoe which I love but It's starting to show it's age.
My dad is selling his 2008 Escalade premium or platinum and I could buy it from him dirt cheap.

Only issue with it is the AC clutch doesn't engage. Should be a cheap fix I'm hoping.
Recently I've spent a lot of money and time on fixing up my 03 and I don't enjoy driving it as much as I did and the wife absolutly hates it now.

I'm hoping that posting here will either convice me to buy the 08 or keep my 03

Pros
Awesome engine and transmission.
Better ride quality
Better stereo
Only 74K miles
Wife wants me to buy it

Cons
Feels smaller inside
Rear seats don't fold as flat as the Tahoe
Smaller cupholders
22 inch chrome wheels
*subjective* not as good looking as the Tahoe
Only 74K miles and my Tahoe has 79K miles.
Wife wants me to buy it?

So what do you say? :D

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well maintained is the Escalade. Lots of electronic's but a much nicer ride. That is pretty low milage and the first 3 cons you have I bet would cure themselves after a week behind the wheel. I loved my older trucks / suv's but they did begin to nickel and dime me to the point of moving up model years.

LGSONE

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 03 is just getting broken in. My 06 Tahoe has 75K miles. Having said that, the Esky would be a sweet ride and getting it from family with low miles, the maintenance history and a low price is worth it's weight right off the bat. That sells me for the Esky, but can't see a reason to ditch the 03 unless you just don't need it. But it has a lot of mileage left to go. My .02.

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went from a 2000 Burb to a 2007 Denali, and it's amazing how much more refined the GMT-900 feels in almost every department. I absolutely adored my 2000 Suburban thanks to its years of loyal service, but I'm already more in love with the '07 Denali and I'm only two months into ownership.

If you can afford the Escalade, I don't see any reason not to go for it.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be a major step up in luxury and in tech upgrades. The tech in the 2003 is outdated. But then again you can always update that. I agree that your Tahoe is just getting broken in. But a good deal abd if you know it's been well maintained, that in itself is worth the buy as well.

shortbusondubs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snag the escalade and keep the tahoe. if you have to choose, upgrade. i would.

OP
OP
P

Pokémon

Reaction score
Yeah mechanically the Tahoe is sound but it has had a series of electrical issues lately which has cost me a lot of money in parts and diagnosis plus not really being fixed yet. So it's either spend a few hundred bucks and hoping it will be alright or spend a few thousand and newer model.

The esky has been treated very well in the last couple of years and there's nothing wrong with it. Apart from the ac thing.

Been driving it today and the wife is sold on it and I'm almost there as well.

Would love to own both but that would mean selling the MDX my wife's driving and I think that would cause a divorce :D

OP
OP
P

Pokémon

Reaction score
Thanks for this input. I have the car for the next few days and will decide over the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilb