'07 Yukon XL Denali Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not replace with gas shocks if i dont care about auto level for towing? wouldnt ride worse would it? and would just eliminate the rear compressor and have less to fail?
You can definitely do whatever you want. It’s just that a lot of people spend a lot of time and energy trying to avoid paying for the “expensive” AutoRide and AutoLevel components and wind up with a worse riding vehicle or messages on their dash. That’s us why a number of us will default to suggest options that retain these features. B

If you replace the rear air shocks with non-AutoLevel shocks, you will need to swap out the rear springs as well.

breds2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can definitely do whatever you want. It’s just that a lot of people spend a lot of time and energy trying to avoid paying for the “expensive” AutoRide and AutoLevel components and wind up with a worse riding vehicle or messages on their dash. That’s us why a number of us will default to suggest options that retain these features. B

If you replace the rear air shocks with non-AutoLevel shocks, you will need to swap out the rear springs as well.
already have (but not installed) belltech rear springs for a drop. And already have resistor for the air ride removal that work good. So the question is that, would removing the air shock and replacing it with a belltech or Bilstein
strut really make the ride worse?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
already have (but not installed) belltech rear springs for a drop. And already have resistor for the air ride removal that work good. So the question is that, would removing the air shock and replacing it with a belltech or Bilstein
strut really make the ride worse?
You should be fine from a ride stand point.

Keep in mind that the resistor only handles AutoRide. It does nothing with AutoLevel which is the airbag/compressor side of the equation. You will likely need to do some additional work to not get a suspension system error due to the vehicle not leveling.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I converted back to the OEM Z55 suspension (I purchased the new-to-me 07 truck with crap passive shocks installed in the front and crap coil-overs in the rear) using all OEM parts except for the front springs (not available, so I used compatible Moog springs), it cost me about $3000. This included ALL front struts parts, front upper and lower control arms and ball joints, rear air shocks, compressor, and rear coil springs.

My ride height is stock, and I personally believe that you cannot get a better suspension and ride for this truck.

awsic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking through Amazon one can buy the front shock absorber (Z55 damping) from ACDelco for $339 each. As stated earlier in the thread, the spring and boot aren't part of this unit (not an assembly). For an assembly there is a Chinesium knock off for $480 (pair).

Has anyone tried the more economic purchase and if so, any opinion on the ride quality or build quality?

I think these are the Moog springs Joseph Garcia is referring to - $91.

Not sure on the boot or any other parts of the assembly... need to keep serching.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to GMPartsDirect.com, enter your VIN, and look for the exploded view of your strut. There you will find all of the parts that make up the strut assembly. That is what I did when I rebuilt mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia