07 Using oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strokinpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my tahoe is using oil. My wife told me that an add oil message came on yesterday so I checked the oil. It was still in the cross hatches maybe a quarter of an inch above the bottom line. I added a quart and it brought it up to about half or so. I think we are about 5000 miles on this oil. Is this normal or something I need to worry about? I bought a warranty through the credit union when I got it so it should be covered if something is wrong.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a quart in 5000 miles is normal for these so nothing to worry about per say. Just keep an eye on it and be sure it doesn't get worse.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since it's under warranty I'd definitely have it looked at then. It's common for these vehicles to have issues with the PCV valve that causes the vehicle to use excess oil.

OP
OP
S

strokinpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll check that out. It also didn't appear to burn any oil until right at 5000 miles. I suspected it was burning oil when I got it so I had the dealership change the oil when I got it and checked it several times and it was always dead on then all the sudden it's 2 quarts low. P.S. it's got 99k miles on it...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's strange! I would have expected a gradual loss rather than all of a sudden.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google tahoe 5.3 oil consumption. Make sure you have a beer before all the reading your going to do. Take it to the dealer and tell them you want to start a oil consumption log. It will be the only way you will get a warrantee if it dies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jnice28