07 escalade AC smells like vinegar or musty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 escalade just starting smelling funny when ac is turned on. Once its been running for a min or 2, smell goes away.

Where can i start checking?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Fless
Thank you. On my 07 escalade, where is my evaporator drain located?
Just behind the passenger side front tire, above the frame, where the firewall bends toward the rear of the truck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 escalade just starting smelling funny when ac is turned on. Once its been running for a min or 2, smell goes away.

Where can i start checking?
Find someone with a bi-directional scan tool and have them activate "Afterblow". This will dry out the evaporator. Have written about in detail on here before.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have read that running the AC on recirculate can cause this odor. Running with outside air helps.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, a few blocks before you stop the truck, turn the cooling off and keep the HVAC fan running until you're ready to shut down the engine.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update on this.

So I finally got around to trying to drain out any water through the evaporator drain by the front and also by the rear. I removed the L shape rubber boot at front and shoved in a thick piece of zip tie I had laying around. It was about 18" long or so. Did it several times and nothing happened. There has not been any water dripping from that drain for maybe a month. AC blows cold though. Nothing drains from the rear drain either. Where esle should I look or is the zip tie just not that strong or long?

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the escalade to the shop today. Re got it on the lift and located the rubber L. Removed it and with the air compressor he managed blow it out. Did it several times. Both front and back no water what so ever. So this means there is no blockage.

I bought the dorman cabin filter retrofit. And will try and get this installed in the next few days. I will also be cleaning the evaporator with the foam spray recommanded by @Fless .

I mean, is this normal for water not drain when AC on?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Adding a Cabin air filter, especially the activated charcoal version will undo the funk after you wash the evap coils off.

Imagine if you ran your home hvac for 13 years without a filter. Now imagine driving your home at 70mph on the highway for 13 years how nasty it’d be.

We’ve been programmed not to think about how the air in our vehicles is designed to be exchanged every 15-30 seconds even with the hvac off. Cabin air filters are good.

I bought the dorman cabin filter retrofit. And will try and get this installed in the next few days. I will also be cleaning the evaporator with the foam spray recommanded by @Fless .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts