07 denali engine oil pan gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ny_summit

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just changed my oil today and realized I have a leak somewhere. Seems to be the oil pan gasket. I know how much work is involved to take the pan out being an AWD so I'll most likely have a shop do it. Since I'll have the pan out I'll have the shop do the pick up tube o ring as well, as I do get lower than 20 psi when it's hot.

I do remember reading there is some port or something that can be plugged in the oil pan for vehicles that do not have AFM. Can someone point me to the right direction on what it is?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just changed my oil today and realized I have a leak somewhere. Seems to be the oil pan gasket. I know how much work is involved to take the pan out being an AWD so I'll most likely have a shop do it. Since I'll have the pan out I'll have the shop do the pick up tube o ring as well, as I do get lower than 20 psi when it's hot.

I do remember reading there is some port or something that can be plugged in the oil pan for vehicles that do not have AFM. Can someone point me to the right direction on what it is?
I wouldn’t assume it’s the oil pan gasket. The oil cooler block off plate (also the same place the oil cooler lines enter the engine if you have that option) gasket is famous for leaking and masquerading as the oil pan. If the leak os coming from above the oil filter area, that’s the usual suspect.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it is the block off plate, do yourself a favor and get the billet design and install it. The pot metal plate on there now, can warp over time.

OP
OP
ny_summit

ny_summit

Reaction score
So I took a look under. It's hard to see exactly what's going on because I have an oily undercoating on my denali.
But I can see for sure the oil cooler block off is leaking.

Do I need to drain the oil before swapping it out?

I wouldn’t assume it’s the oil pan gasket. The oil cooler block off plate (also the same place the oil cooler lines enter the engine if you have that option) gasket is famous for leaking and masquerading as the oil pan. If the leak os coming from above the oil filter area, that’s the usual suspect.
I'll start with the block off plate since I can see for sure that's what's leaking.
If it is the block off plate, do yourself a favor and get the billet design and install it. The pot metal plate on there now, can warp over time.
Do you have a link to the billet block off plate?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But I can see for sure the oil cooler block off is leaking.

Do I need to drain the oil before swapping it out?

No, it's above the oil level. Expect some dripping from the holes, though.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the billet block off plate?
Here you go: https://a.co/d/ecHHthl

I like this one because it has the proper length screws. Be super careful when torquing because they are small bolts in aluminum and stripping one out will ruin your day. Torque value is 106 INCH pounds. And I would do even less than that given that this plate uses an o-ring to seal. Doesn't take much clamping force.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ny_summit

ny_summit

Reaction score
Here you go: https://a.co/d/ecHHthl

I like this one because it has the proper length screws. Be super careful when torquing because they are small bolts in aluminum and stripping one out will ruin your day. Torque value is 106 INCH pounds. And I would do even less than that given that this plate uses an o-ring to seal. Doesn't take much clamping force.
Thank you I ended up ordering this before seeing your reply but it looks similar. Appreciate the info I'll just snug the bolts down a bit and check for leaks over time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230605_152518_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230605_152518_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you I ended up ordering this before seeing your reply but it looks similar. Appreciate the info I'll just snug the bolts down a bit and check for leaks over time.
Yep, good plate but those screws as pictured are too short and will strip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9