05 Tahoe with JL4 RPO rear brake issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Boostaddict91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So up until today they were cool to the touch, today granted it was warmer than it's been but they were quite warm, I could hold my hand on them so not scalding hot like before.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As already written, it depends on whether you brake or not. If you drive 100 miles on the freeway and don't brake, the brakes aren't even warm to the touch. If you're driving normally in city traffic, the brakes are warm and if you're driving downhill with a trailer they get hot. If they are so hot, after a normal ride without braking, i.e. country road, or highway, that you can hardly touch them, then something is wrong and especially if one wheel, or two differ significantly from the others in temperature.

As well you can carjack the car and try if the wheel is free turning, when you're in neutral.

OP
OP
B

Boostaddict91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So it happened again today left rear locked up on me and wouldn't fully release, rotor is now blackish blue and strong smell of burning brakes. Pulled abs and traction fuses and it doesn't appear to be dragging anymore. So would this be the module or pump or both? Or would a faulty precharge pump do this if it were say stuck on.

OP
OP
B

Boostaddict91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do all modules have to be reprogrammed? Or just remanned ones? Also would the truck having larger wheels be confusing the abs since it thinks it has 17s on it?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing to check is that the brake hoses haven't collapsed. If one has, it will prevent the caliper from releasing the pads completely.

OP
OP
B

Boostaddict91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nevermind, on my way home this morning from work I got almost home sitting at a stoplight went to take off and its still sticking. So the only hoses that have not been replaced is the two center ones that I can't for the life of me see how to get to without having a lift.

OP
OP
B

Boostaddict91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also I should add that this happens at random if I turn the truck off and let it sit for a few minutes it's fine until it'll randomly do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96