05 Denali XL- remove odor coming from center console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsgoofy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up my 05 Denali XL. Car is mint, however, there is a lingering chemical/perfumey type odor coming directly from the center console. When I open it it hits you in the face and almost seems like the previous owner spilled some scented chemical in there. It is permeating through the vehicle. I tried steam cleaning, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, unscented cleaner, now I have about a pound of baking soda sitting in there that I will vacuum out in a few days. Any other suggestions? If it's not too much of a pain I was thinking of just removing the center console for a few days and putting it out in the sun to air out. It seems to be as if the plastic has absorbed whatever was put/spilled in there, making the car smell like it. Any ideas? Thanks.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Just picked up my 05 Denali XL. Car is mint, however, there is a lingering chemical/perfumey type odor coming directly from the center console. When I open it it hits you in the face and almost seems like the previous owner spilled some scented chemical in there. It is permeating through the vehicle. I tried steam cleaning, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, unscented cleaner, now I have about a pound of baking soda sitting in there that I will vacuum out in a few days. Any other suggestions? If it's not too much of a pain I was thinking of just removing the center console for a few days and putting it out in the sun to air out. It seems to be as if the plastic has absorbed whatever was put/spilled in there, making the car smell like it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ozone generator. Something like this.

Screenshot_20200229-211628_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
I

itsgoofy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great. I actually had the dealer run this for 30 minutes the day before I got the car. It didn't seem to do much, but now that I have completely steamed/wiped down every surface, and isolated the smell to the area of the center console, I presume that if I ran the machine with the console open it would help. The smell really seems to be coming from there. I'll buy one of the machines and do it myself.

Also, does anyone know if this car has a cabin air filter? 2005 Yukon Denali XL. Thanks.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Great. I actually had the dealer run this for 30 minutes the day before I got the car. It didn't seem to do much, but now that I have completely steamed/wiped down every surface, and isolated the smell to the area of the center console, I presume that if I ran the machine with the console open it would help. The smell really seems to be coming from there. I'll buy one of the machines and do it myself.

Also, does anyone know if this car has a cabin air filter? 2005 Yukon Denali XL. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you do not have a filter in an 05, but it is easily added.

OP
OP
I

itsgoofy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you do not have a filter in an 05, but it is easily added.
Wonderful. I would definitely like to add one. My moms 02? Suburban I think has one, but her 04 does not. Got any info on how to add one? Thanks!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Wonderful. I would definitely like to add one. My moms 02? Suburban I think has one, but her 04 does not. Got any info on how to add one? Thanks!

Dorman 259-201 is the one I used. There are others. Basically, you cut out the slot in the passenger footwell, put the filter in and the door on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 minutes wont do much let that machine run 24 hours with the doors and windows shut.

OP
OP
I

itsgoofy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ordered the ozone machine off amazon and the Dorman 259-201. Thanks guys! I'll wait until this smell is taken care of before I saturate my air filter with the fragrance.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I picked up my new-to-me 07 Yukon XL Denali, I had some some 'scents' in it that were not natural to the truck. It turns out that the dealer had put a couple of scent sticks of some kind in the truck, one under the second row seats and one in the bottom part of the front dash housing. Once I found and removed them, the scents went away after about 1 week.