03 Tahoe First Car Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lil_Debbie_Snack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Couple weeks back I got a 03 Tahoe as my first car with 238k miles on it. Recently put in aftermarket headlights (still need to adjust) and tail lights (i haven't gotten any pictures of them installed but will upload when I get the chance). I also have a aftermarket stereo that I plan on putting in. I also plan on putting in some subs in the back and possibly replacing the factory bose speakers even later along the line. Mostly my other plans for it are just taking off the side door moldings, a leveling kit, and removing chrome parts off of it (front grille, bumper and rear bumper) and maybe different tires. Is there anything I should know and/or do to it before or while I'm putting in the new radio? Any tips, tricks, ideas or advice I'll take.

Attachments

• 20210628_154448.jpg
    20210628_154448.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210628_154459.jpg
    20210628_154459.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210628_154538.jpg
    20210628_154538.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210713_011833.jpg
    20210713_011833.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Congratulations, that looks like a nice clean and well taken care of machine.

What do you know about the maintenance history? Was it acquired from someone you trust to give accurate information about that? Most times when acquiring a used car with that many miles the focus is on correcting any deferred or neglected maintenance items. E.G. changing coolant, brake fluid, axles etc. If the previous owner kept up to date on everything then none of that may be needed.

You’ll also want to know the history on transmission maintenance to assess the probability of a significant repair cost, at 238k that’s the most common major item approaching end of life. If it’s original.

Enjoy the new ride!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Make sure you get a good install kit along with the proper harness. Metra and Scoshe kits are good, along with the chime box you'll need. If you replace the Bose speakers, those are 2 ohm, compared to a non Bose system's 4 ohm setup.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I would be most interested in what @Bill 1960 asked about, so as to remove the uncertainties of the mechanical maintenance history. I am more of a mechanical inspection buyer than all the goodies you talk of but that is important too, obviously.

Was it inspected or you crawled under and inspected before purchase? Live in a state with salt on roads and therefore chances of rust problems? CarFax to see ownership history and any REPORTED damage/maintenance?

I really like the color of the rig. I like pewter or silver rigs but the ones I see with this color really catch my eye.

Congratulations of the buy!

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving great advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
Lil_Debbie_Snack

Lil_Debbie_Snack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Congratulations, that looks like a nice clean and well taken care of machine.

What do you know about the maintenance history? Was it acquired from someone you trust to give accurate information about that? Most times when acquiring a used car with that many miles the focus is on correcting any deferred or neglected maintenance items. E.G. changing coolant, brake fluid, axles etc. If the previous owner kept up to date on everything then none of that may be needed.

You’ll also want to know the history on transmission maintenance to assess the probability of a significant repair cost, at 238k that’s the most common major item approaching end of life. If it’s original.

Enjoy the new ride!
Don't know to much of its history besides the guy that sold to us said that he was selling for his buddy who worked for GM because his wife didn't use it anymore. My moms boyfriend Tyler went with us to make sure everything was fine on it because he know alot more than we do and has a few projects of his own. I got it around the end of June and have been driving it since then with no problems. Tyler was planning on us taking it to his friends shop and us checking everything there on the lift along with changing fluids and maybe new brakes. @PNW VietVet There wasn't a Carfax of the car that the guy selling had and the truck has mostly lived in Dallas until he drove down to his shop in Austin and didn't say anything about damage besides little dings and dents from the cars life and some from he recent hail we've had.