00 yukon xl 1500 Z71 rears, shock ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 00 yukon xl 1500 4wd, converting the rear self leveling setup to Z71 coils and Bilstein 5100 shocks.Maybe with 3/4" coil spacers?
My question is with the Bilstein's did people who've done this get the 0-1" lift or the 3" lift shocks?
It seems like the height difference of the z71 coils varied a lot per application depending on how sagged our stock setup was.
I've replaced front keys with 1.5" leveling keys and 5100's, it is about 1.5" nose high now not cranked up.
Ordered 1" flat top urethane bump stops,to install under the Z71 jounce bumpers to get those working again.
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/9.9117

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my Z71 coil swap 2 weeks ago, combined with 2" spacers. I got about 3" lift, and installed keys in the front to match. With the 3", I used stock height shocks (KYB MonoMax), and added 2" shock spacers.

You might see about a 1" lift from the coils, might put you at a slight rake, but surely less than 1" back to front. You can crank the keys to level out, as you seem to have the room.

If I'm not mistaken, the 3" lift shocks have more travel. Check and see what your collapsed length is between the 0" and 3" shocks, if it's more than an inch, you probably won't be able to get full compression out of your suspension without bottoming out. You'd be able to use the 0" lift and 2" spacers, and negate that possibility.

OP
OP
Oshkosh

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about 200 Miles on the yukon since doing the front end,seeing if it will settle any...Right now it is about 1.5" higher in front (tire to wheelwell)
With the keys at a lower setting...I have plenty of room to go up not much to come down.
I'm thinking the z71 coils will give me an inch, then 3/4" spacers with give me a very slight rake to the front.....

IMG_20160504_181917.jpg

OP
OP
Oshkosh

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When converting from the self leveling air suspension to the rear Z71 coils would I use the 0-1" lift shocks or shocks listed for 3" lift?
Kind of a big spread there.....

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When converting from the self leveling air suspension to the rear Z71 coils would I use the 0-1" lift shocks or shocks listed for 3" lift?
Kind of a big spread there.....

Again, check the manufacturers specs on the shocks. See what the collapsed length on them is. If it's less than an inch, use the 3" lift shocks. If it's more than an inch, use the 0-1" shocks, and add a 2" shock extender.

OP
OP
Oshkosh

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already have done that, was looking for real world experience s....
The collapsed length of the 3" lift shock is only 3/4" more than 0-1, so with no real world feed back I'm going with those, rather not use shock extenders, rather get correct shocks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts