XLDenali06's Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Okay, before I even get started today, I need some educating from you fine knowledgeable people. Is what I have here a bump stop or a jounce bumper? Is it the same thing as a lca bumper? And will what I ordered (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0181GSGJG) work as a replacement? I thought I had this part figured out, but the more I read the more confused I get. 2006 Yukon XL Denali, btw.

View attachment 194152

That's the jounce stop. I'm not sure why it says the 20" wheel thing...

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I'm raising it up, should I add bump stops under the jounce bumpers? No plans for off-roading, but would like to be able to if there's ever an actual need. With or without off-roading, adding bump stops would be a good idea, right? That pic is with that side on the ground, by the way. Only modification so far is the 5100 Bilstein front shocks. Hoping to get the Ford keys in today, along with the new jounce stops.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Since I'm raising it up, should I add bump stops under the jounce bumpers? No plans for off-roading, but would like to be able to if there's ever an actual need. With or without off-roading, adding bump stops would be a good idea, right? That pic is with that side on the ground, by the way. Only modification so far is the 5100 Bilstein front shocks. Hoping to get the Ford keys in today, along with the new jounce stops.

Probably. They are supposed to be in contact with the control arm. Definitely affects the ride.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the driver side done. Much easier when the clamp doesn't bend! I do have a question though - once I got the adjustment bar and bolt back in, tightened it up to where it was on the stock key (1" of thread left on that side), and started unloading the clamp, the adjustment bolt kicked out towards the passenger side. I even tightened the clamp back up, readjusted the bar and bolt, and the same thing happened again when I unloaded the clamp. I couldn't figure out why, nor a way to stop it from happening. Is this a safety issue? Should I be concerned? Not gonna lie, it made me nervous.

The key got me 2.5" up front on the driver side. Hope to do the passenger side later today, but it's raining and my garage is full, so it may have to wait until tomorrow. Got about a 1-1/2" squat now, too, but I can live with that until I get the HD springs, spacers, and shocks in the back. Currently sitting at 36.5" in the back (stock), 35.5" in the front passenger (5100 shock only), and 38" in the front driver (5100 shock and Ford key). I can definitely tell the difference getting in and out of the truck! No comparison pics yet because my phone kept dying, plus the rain. I'll get some asap though.

20180305_122122.jpg

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rain decided it was gonna hold off, so I got a few pics. Had my oldest son pick up a better jack (our good one got stolen by the in-laws and we never have replaced it) and I'll get back out there soon to get the passenger side done. Once everything is done, I'll get some new tires (very much needed) and an alignment.

20180305_131331.jpg 20180305_131346.jpg 20180305_131409.jpg

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the passenger side key in. Wondering if I messed something up though. Somehow both sides are at 40" at the front and about 35.5" in the back!!! Holy squat Batman! Lol. I know a lot of that will be evened out when I install the Moog HD springs and 1.5" spacers, so not worried about that specifically. What does concern me is I took the truck around the block, just a quick 3 or 4 minute trip, but it was all over the road, handling-wise. Will an alignment fix that, or did I somehow screw something up? Why did the driver side go from 38" to 40" after installing the PASSENGER side key? So confused right now :-\

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjusted the camber today. Driver side needs some more work (ran out of daylight plus hungry kids), but it's better than it was. And the passenger side is just about spot on. Makes a huge difference in how she tracks. Still trying to figure out why 3" lift keys gave me 4"+ of lift. I'll keep tweaking things here and there to see if I can't get an acceptable balance between desired lift and the angle of my cv axles.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am watching this with great interest, I may be doing the same thing before long, but not as high. I have never done the lift before but it makes sense that it lifted the driver side too much, they work in pairs on the lift. You should be able to lower the front to desired height by loosening the keys, if I understand this correctly.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am watching this with great interest, I may be doing the same thing before long, but not as high. I have never done the lift before but it makes sense that it lifted the driver side too much, they work in pairs on the lift. You should be able to lower the front to desired height by loosening the keys, if I understand this correctly.

The keys are just about as low as they can go. I plan to crank them down a few more turns tomorrow. That'll likely have at least one of them sitting on the adjustment bar. Beyond that, my only option is to go back to stock (green) keys and crank them up. I'll decide that after I get the back done to see what the overall package looks like.

I adjusted the camber today, and that helped the tracking a lot. The driver side still needs some adjustment, but the passenger side is just about level. Plan to work on it some more tomorrow.