What year would you avoid in a Tahoe or Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sarcasm intended, but this response leads to a lot of unanswered questions- what you do to figure out this issue?
In my case the issue started out on a cold day, a couple days after going through a car wash. I pressed the button on the left rear passenger door to open it and place my work back pack inside. This button is the most often used for this reason. In this particular case I felt the button sort of "stick" in and not pop out normally. After driving around that day I parked overnight (outside) and the next morning I had an almost completely dead battery (only got a click when I pushed start). I didn't put two and two together right away, but after the button eventually working again, warmer weather being better and cold weather being bad I figured it out. The dealership eventually believed me and replaced it under warranty. The button is essentially a momentary push switch and any mechanical switch can stick at some point.

Brian71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced an 06 Z71 Tahoe (great truck) for a 17 CPO Tahoe. The only major issue was the rear A/C lines were leaking. The dealer replaced them at my cost but replaced the rear evaporator under warranty.
It's been pretty dependable. We've driven from Ontario to Florida twice and we're driving to Arizona in December.
I change the oil frequently because of the possible lifter issue.
The only thing I'm not crazy about is the adaptive cruise control. It has a mind of it's own and there's no way to over ride it.
I do spray it with undercoating (Krown) every year.

DBacon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The "ignition off drain" issue is so ridiculous, none of the industrial electronics those vehicles are made on would lose memory if left off for an extended period of time. The welding control I supplied to all of the GM Truck assembly plants could be left off power for four years, without battery backup and would not lose any programming or stored values, and that was in 1987!
So until they learn how to do this, you can put a battery maintainer under the hood for $24 and plug it in if you will not be using the vehicle for a few days.
Eric O of South Main Auto in NY can track the drain down. One I recently read about was due to a 3g telephone circuit that would search for a 3g tower every few minutes (They have been replaced by newer systems) and wasting electricity continuously. The fuse was pulled on that one because even GM couldn't fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019