What year do I want ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d love to find a way to get a 10SP to replace the 6SP in our 09.

I'd love for a way to have a 5 or 6-speed manual in my 2014, instead of the automatic. I just hate how it sits in neutral, or between ratios, when transitioning from a quick almost-stop, like a yield sign at the bottom of a hill. I will hit the accelerator pedal and nothing happens for half a second while the brain-box tries to predict my motives.

Or, at least enable a way to lock your ratio selection when in Manual Mode. I know exactly what gear I want to be in.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "best year" debate will rage on forever and it typically boils down to owners advocating for whatever year/model they own or have owned. There aren't very many people, if any, who have owned and had extensive experience with every single year of GM full-size SUVs, so the best recommendation for considering a specific year would default to the basic principles of avoiding the first year of a new model (which even that philosophy doesn't necessarily hold water) and ensuring that the specific vehicle you choose has a detailed service history and any recalls remedied.

I personally couldn't recommend completely avoiding a 15+, as the 15-20 GMTK2XXs were a huge improvement on the GMT900. You're still going to have AFM regardless, save for a select few 07-09s. The features, interior/exterior styling, and the LT-based engines of the K2s would make me lean more towards them if I were in the market, especially considering it will be much easier to find a decent-mileage, better condition example. That being said, I would also highly recommend seeking out a CPO or otherwise warrantied vehicle if buying anything with DOD/AFM.

I live in FL and there is a healthy selection down here, just about any dealership you go to regardless of make will have a GM SUV or two the lot. Good luck with the search and let us know what you decide on!

Side note: Being that you're up north, an undercoating would be priority #1 if I were bringing a southern-state vehicle up there!

What are the improvements? The overall quality isn’t any better than the 900. The ride quality is terrible (they do handle a bit better but bigger sway bars on the 900 will fix that). The 6 speed and 8 speeds aren’t good. And before you argue, yes the 6 speed is basically the same as the 900 but the 900s didn’t have such common torque converter failure that wipes out the entire transmission at 60k-80k miles. Camshaft failure is much more common but the lifters are the same. The interior looks a little nicer but really isn’t better quality once you start touching things. Other than CarPlay, the radios are just as bad. They have tons of nit picky issues as well.

I think most people think the newer vehicle is better because they traded in a worn out one they never fixed anything on. I’ve replaced the entire suspension on both of mine and with new Michelins, there is nothing about the way the K2 rides and drives that would make me want to spend the money to downgrade. The K2’s are the reason for the term “Chevy shake.”

The best year, in my opinion, would be a 2009 6.2L as they don’t have AFM but have Flex Fuel (better fuel system even if you don’t plan to use FF). The only issue is GM is actively discontinuing stuff, like the steering angle sensor, to keep them on the road. A 12-14 is probably your best bet as a lot of the electronic parts are a newer generation and still available. They do have AFM but if you get a tune immediately and turn it off, it’ll at least kick the can down the road.

Last edited:

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents...... a 2012-2014, or a 2016 to 2020. I would avoid the 2015 and anything with an 8 speed. Rust free is the key, as I have seen 2018's here in Wisconsin with wheel well rust starting.......

Vipverbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 18 Tahoe RST 6.2L with 10 speed. AWESOME!!!! I had a 2011 Tahoe before. What a difference. Just enough, but no too much. Has 110K on it, and runs great getting 20+ MPG. I have an AFM disconnect that i use. So far, so good.

Sweetie101

Reaction score
I am in love with my 2003 Z71 and keep it like new here in Florida. Very dependable year and plenty of parts available and easy to upgrade with parts from newer models such as the brakes

Gearz

Reaction score
I own a 2011 Tahoe LTZ that’s had it’s small issues but no drive train problems. I would go with 11-14 Tahoe Unless you can afford a 2023 off lease. Stay away from 15-22. GL

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Son has a 2015 Yukon Denali 6 speed & I have a 2018 Yukon Denali 10 speed. So many differences between the 2. The 2018 is way more refined and get better mileage. With 90K miles my overall avg in over 20mpg. I would plan on doing an AFM delete via a cam swap. We both had AFM lifter failures.
You still average 20MPGs with AFM delete?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d love to find a way to get a 10SP to replace the 6SP in our 09.
The TCM that controls the 6L80E is simply incapable of controlling the 10L80E.
Also, I don't know if the 10L80E TCM can 'converse with' the '09 ECM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20