What year do I want ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KVacek

Reaction score
Long-time owner 2005 Yukon Denali XL. 93 GMC Suburban before that.

We live in the Chiicago area and that means rust. The 05 needs to be replaced. I'll look for an inland Florida or etc vehicle.

Question is - I see so many posts about this and that newer feature causing issues. I'm posting here because I don't think I should go newer than 2014, but I really don't know what to look for and what to avoid.

Is there a generally agreed "best" year or years among the last decade + ?

Should I consider anything newer than 2014 ? I have a clone Tech 2 but it's not been a religious experience having it, so a model still using that is only a minor consideration.

Not a matter of saving money on the purchase, but rather getting as unrusted of a body and avoiding the modern electronic compications. I've always done my own work, but not anxious for much more - getting old and cranky and creaky.

Any advice / guidance deeply appreciated.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2021 Yukon Denali and Love It but it seems that 2021 is the 1st year of the current generation - e.g. 2020 -> 2021 crosses an aftermarket parts line and other lines.

For example
- I need a front hitch but they're not available for 2021+ yet and I'll have to hire some custom work.
- My local shop assured me they could work on Yukon Denali but it turns out they can't program a 2nd Fob as they don't have the 2021+ equipment yet.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "best year" debate will rage on forever and it typically boils down to owners advocating for whatever year/model they own or have owned. There aren't very many people, if any, who have owned and had extensive experience with every single year of GM full-size SUVs, so the best recommendation for considering a specific year would default to the basic principles of avoiding the first year of a new model (which even that philosophy doesn't necessarily hold water) and ensuring that the specific vehicle you choose has a detailed service history and any recalls remedied.

I personally couldn't recommend completely avoiding a 15+, as the 15-20 GMTK2XXs were a huge improvement on the GMT900. You're still going to have AFM regardless, save for a select few 07-09s. The features, interior/exterior styling, and the LT-based engines of the K2s would make me lean more towards them if I were in the market, especially considering it will be much easier to find a decent-mileage, better condition example. That being said, I would also highly recommend seeking out a CPO or otherwise warrantied vehicle if buying anything with DOD/AFM.

I live in FL and there is a healthy selection down here, just about any dealership you go to regardless of make will have a GM SUV or two the lot. Good luck with the search and let us know what you decide on!

Side note: Being that you're up north, an undercoating would be priority #1 if I were bringing a southern-state vehicle up there!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also look out west and have a nice road trip. I have found a fair number of rusty vehicles in FL because they came from the east coast, or midwest, and were traded down there. But, good pics should help get around that.

Agreed with @tooleyondeck about the rust proofing. Buy fluid film, or equivalent, then have a grand time spraying everywhere you can - and end up wearing a fair amount. A lift works way better, or just bring it to zeebart and be done for many years.

As for years, I'm partial to the 2007-09 Denali and escalade models because they are 6.2L without any AFM. Very reliable, and reasonable to repair as needed. If you want newer than that, then I'd say 2018-20. Just find one with good maintenance history and disable the AFM as soon as you can.

I own a 2008 Denali I got from CA, and a 2017 Denali from a trip to FL. Both have been good trucks. Rust proofing is key! I live near Chitcago-land and understand the salt situation. Hence southern and western purchases.

Good luck searching. I also know of a clean 2008 Denali that could be for sale (mine)
. PM if interested, but no pressure.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of wish I'd found this board before I bought.

The main question I had, main feature I demanded was the rear barn doors. I wouldn't consider anything without. But I wasn't sure how late they were available and settled for a 98. Now I see that they carried on for a few more years. But then I wasn't sure what years started the nanny nonsense like TPMs and other stuff, so I didn't want to go past about '03 or '04 either.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 suburban has been amazing. I just bought a 2023 Denali, but can't bring myself to get rid of the 03. We also owned a 13 Tahoe, and it was not the same quality as the '03

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
We came from a new 06 YXL Denali to a preloved 08 Denali in 2014 w/ 96k for $19.5k. Best vehicle we ever owned but sold it at 140k when I discovered a TSB on the trans for a 2-3 gear slip for 07/08 vehicles.

During the boredom of Covid I saw prices bottom out. In ‘20 we sold the 08 for an 09 Esky Platinum for $1.5k more or $14k with same 140k miles. A free 1st class flight from CA to a TX Lexus dealer with leftover airline miles and the deal was done. It was an amazing 2.5 day drive by myself.

I’m in the 07-09 club based on No AFM / cylinder deactivation preference. After discovering GM had literally a/c cooled seats on 09-10 (07-10 on Esky) and a one year only e85 non AFM motor in 09, I had to trade up one year.

Also found out the peeling clear coat and cracked dash could be eliminated. GM’s 3 step metallic paints seemed to be immune to peel and discovered Esky dashes had more UV protection and Esky Platinum were covered in leather and immune to cracks.

Since 2020 we’ve clocked almost 40k miles and recently saved enough dough using e85 to pay the full $14.5k purchase price of the truck. Essentially $300 a month saved on e85 vs 91 here in Cali. Did the recent $6.5k expenditure on a rebuilt trans, restored driveline bushings and major engine seals hurt? Only until Feb 2025 when the savings on e85 repays us again.

The first time you get in a 6.2L Denali or Esky, there’s no going back. Being immune to CA fuel price gouging on e85 in a 403/417 hp/tq full size luxo mobile is like riding around in an alcoholic, huge green hog with lipstick, but only you know it’s green.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Son has a 2015 Yukon Denali 6 speed & I have a 2018 Yukon Denali 10 speed. So many differences between the 2. The 2018 is way more refined and get better mileage. With 90K miles my overall avg in over 20mpg. I would plan on doing an AFM delete via a cam swap. We both had AFM lifter failures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork