SLP Dual Tip Tailpipe for 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere on here that the resonator weighed about 35 lbs also.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a local muffler shop delete the resonator and install the SLP pipe, tip and Magnaflow (12589) muffler today on my 11' Yukon XL. Have to say this was exactly what I was looking for. Just enough added growl and the truck still sounds stock at cruising speeds from 50-80mph. Get on it though and there is a nice added rumble.

Installer at the shop was not really impressed as he thought it would be louder but it is exactly what I was looking for. This is an luxury SUV not a mud lovin' pickup truck with straight pipes.

I would encourage anyone looking for a mild sound upgrade to pull the trigger on this exhaust mod. Total cost installed for me was $295 and it will be fairly easy to go back to stock if I ever need to.

Regards,

JD

Yep all I added were tips and a muffler and got rid of the resonator and it sounds JUST RIGHT :Handshake:

Jaletti

Reaction score
Just wanted to comment on some of the insight that was brought in here.
The SLP tips look great, as do the volant (they're basically identical)
However, if price is your main concern, and you want your res. deleted, just find a shop that'll cut it out and replace it. I know the cars aren't anywhere near similar, but my last ride was a 03 mercedes C320, and i got the res deleted for $40. I brought it to a shop, the guy cut it off, took a scrap piece of pipe he had lying around, cut it to fit, and welded it into place. So if your just looking to remove the resonator, this is a good way to do it. If you want the tips as well though, then you might as well buy the SLP set.

clayp

Reaction score
just ordered mine. The reviews here and youtube videos make this sound exactly like what I am looking for

clayp

Reaction score
well mine came in yesterday. I installed it this morning and overall am pleased but there were two little quirks - the factory exhaust is 2.9" OD. The SLP unit necks down to 2.6" where the polished tip slips over it. Using a horsepower calculator the max hp a 2.9" exhaust will support is 345hp. The max hp a 2.6" exhaust will support is 278hp. This is a major restriction and I might have an exhaust shop rework the necked down joint into a direct weld.

The other issue is there is no way to adjust the pieces to keep the tips from touching the lower portion of the fender flare if you want to use the exhaust hangar. I tried to straighten out the SLP hangar slightly to allow more clearance but the effect was minimal

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loosen up all your clamps and rotate the peaice over the axle towards the rear tire that a should bring your tip down

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to adjust it. I was able to adjust mine and have about 3/8 " clearance from the fender. It looks right and the plastic fender has not been affected by the heat.

I'm not familiar with the exhaust calculator but it probably assumes the entire exhaust is of the smaller size. Due to friction, turbulance etc a smaller exhaust for the entire length would be much more restrictive then just that one point. How often are you at maximun horsepower anyway. I doubt it is worth worring about. JMO.

clayp

Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to adjust it. I was able to adjust mine and have about 3/8 " clearance from the fender. It looks right and the plastic fender has not been affected by the heat.

I'm not familiar with the exhaust calculator but it probably assumes the entire exhaust is of the smaller size. Due to friction, turbulance etc a smaller exhaust for the entire length would be much more restrictive then just that one point. How often are you at maximun horsepower anyway. I doubt it is worth worring about. JMO.

it is sitting in a reasonable position and I'm gonna leave it for now:

537132258_slp.JPG

in terms of the restriction, unfortunately the length of the chokepoint doesn't matter. The entire system will only flow as well as the narrowest restriction.

Freddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone just cut the resonator off and dump it with a magnaflow muffler?

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is sitting in a reasonable position and I'm gonna leave it for now:

in terms of the restriction, unfortunately the length of the chokepoint doesn't matter. The entire system will only flow as well as the narrowest restriction.

I would certainley disagree with that. Do you also believe that long tube headers provide no power benefit because the rest of the exhaust restricts the flow and negates any benefit?

Exaust length (friction), number and angle of bends, mufflers, cats all play a role. The air having to accelerate to pass the same volume of air through a short restriction is not the same as having the same restriction for the entire exhaust lenght. It probably is no more restrictive then the bend up over the axle. It also probably has less restriction then the resonator you took off.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk