2008 Tahoe swap options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick 98Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just reading the forum. I’m more of a lurker. I’ve used it many a time on my 1998 Tahoes and more recently my two 2008 Tahoes. I’ve done AFM deletes, rebuilt the second one, lol… and now I’m thinking of maybe doing a swap. I’m sure it’s been fine and I’m sure it is pretty straightforward, but I kinda want to hear what gains and benefits anyone that did a 6.0 swap (or even a 6.2?) the difference it made, obstacles, worth it? Thanks in advance. Love the forum, has helped greatly over the years!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just reading the forum. I’m more of a lurker. I’ve used it many a time on my 1998 Tahoes and more recently my two 2008 Tahoes. I’ve done AFM deletes, rebuilt the second one, lol… and now I’m thinking of maybe doing a swap. I’m sure it’s been fine and I’m sure it is pretty straightforward, but I kinda want to hear what gains and benefits anyone that did a 6.0 swap (or even a 6.2?) the difference it made, obstacles, worth it? Thanks in advance. Love the forum, has helped greatly over the years!
Yes, there are several threads here on engine swaps, including 5.3 to 6.0. There's even one from a 5.3 to a 6.6. Spend an hour with the search function and come back with any additional questions you may have.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To oversimplify by quite a bit:
6.0L 360 horse & 370FtLb (not the hybrids)
6.2L 400 horse & 410FtLb

Your 4L60Es will most likely need thorough rebuilds with upgraded parts to withstand the larger engines, unless you drive very gingerly.
(If you have 3.42 or 3.73 axles, seriously very consider 4.10 axles. Much cheaper and easier than an engine swap, even if both are 4WD.)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome from SoCal. 08 Tahoe was the 1st year GM installed the 6SP for the 5.3L. The 6.0 gasser out of the 2500 & 3500 trucks are a straight swap and run on regular. The later ones also run e85. None have AFM.

You could also clone GM’s uncommon 08/09 6.2L Tahoe

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished this swap myself,

2014 6.0 from a 3500 sierra. Just need to bring over from the 5.3 is the flex plate, starter, motor mounts, oil pressure sending unit and the front accessory assembly. It all bolts together perfectly.

On the harness side you will need the Map sensor pigtail if your using the 6.0 intake and the cam position pig tail. The low oil idiot light pig tail can just be cut and spliced together to get rid of the message.

I’m running the stock 5.3 file with AFM completely tuned out with HPTuners, I need to emphasize, if your a DYI’er the entire project hinges on being able to remove AFM from the ecm.

Overall very pleased so far. It’s got a ton more jam in its doughnut and the appetite to prove it.

that331racer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If money isn't an issue, I would recommend an lt1 or even lt4 swap. A transmission rebuild or swap would have to happen, but you could compete with the Ram TRX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660