Scrubbing/binding while turning at near full lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to GM frame with a lot of POSITIVE CASTER built in the frame it's self. My 2wd does it on a fairly sharp turn going forward and backwards, especially in places where there are white lines on the pavement it will actually squeal.
Have you ever noticed the front fork on a bicycle or motorcycle how it's laid back, that's + caster to guide the wheel. Park your ride on level ground and turn the steering wheel one full turn, get out and look @ the tire how laid back it is. Just wanted to share. Good luck, it is NORMAL.
David g.........:)

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to flip mine this weekend. I had posted earlier in the thread about my issues. I've taken several looks and my tie rods appear to angle toward the front of the truck if tracing from the knuckle to the link. If I understand what I'm reading, they should be parallel to the centerlink, such that they form a straight line from one side to the other side.

The pics I tried to take don't really illustrate what I'm talking about, but I'll give it a go and see what happens.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow!!!

Flipped the centerlink on Saturday and had aligned.

THE STEERING ISSUES I'VE BEEN FIGHTING FOR 4 YEARS ARE FIXED!! WOOOO!!!

I can't believe all of the shops/people have missed this for so long. I can even pinpoint when this happened, 4 years ago, had pitman/idler/tie rods replaced and that's when the trouble started. I can rant on and on for hours, but let's just say i'm happy as can be that it drives like new again.

Thanks @SnowDrifter for posting the picture. I should have inspected mine closer when you posted last year.

:happy160:

dweb4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello thanks for all the information, I had the same scrubbing, dragging of my steering. Flipped my center link and soon as pulled out driveway knew this fixed the problem. You will have to disconnect the inner tie rods. One tip that helped me, mark the backside of the center link, that way you'll know that side should face forward toward the radiator and you're putting it back in the correct orientation. You will have to flip it right to left or vice versa. This helped me because I thought I put it in the right direction the first time..LOL! Got an alignment and truck rides beautiful again. Thanks, fellas, for all the help!

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my old '88 GMC truck front end renewed with all Moog. I had the same problem. The center link appears same at both ends, but it isn't. The suspension guy, forgot to place the old center link on the bench, ( noting left / right as it came off the truck) ..then compare 'new to old'. ( They should have had a label on new center link? )....

They switched it the next day, and solved the turning problem.

I did call the Moog service guy the next morning before the fix.... He said, " 99% of all mistakes was installing the center link reversed , it's slightly different, but a huge difference".

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it sounds like you have a problem with the wheel bearings, which is common on that trucks and/or with the front Differential. Because the wheels must turn without resistance...

Concerning the tension in the front wheels, it sounds to me like a not correct camber and caster. Especially when the caster is out of specs, you have that phenomenon.

The question is, if the frient only checked for toe...?

I have my own a allingment tool and I know that set a correct caster, is a little bit of work, on the front axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts