Wheels plowing/dragging at low speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Yukon XL 4wd. I put new tires on the truck when I bought it in July. I have had it aligned twice now, but the front tires are wearing really ******* the outer edges. I don't go flying through turns, I drive it very gently. When I put the truck in reverse, the front wheels drag across the ground. When I put it in drive, the front wheels plow, causing lots of squealing. In fact, the front tires squeal at anything more than a slight turn. The alignment shop tested the ball joints, and confirmed they are good. The upper control arms are brand new. It tracks straight and true when driving down the road. I'm unsure of what else could be causing extreme wear on the outer edges of the front tires. The back tires look brand new with practically zero wear on them. The fronts look like they have been on the road for 10 years. Please help!!!

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what tires do you have on yours and at what PSI are you running them...

good luck,

Bill

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check the orientation of the center link as @SnowDrifter details in this thread:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

One of these days I am going to get a surprise and when some member posts that they are having tire wear, handling or steering problems and had it aligned, they will have a copy of the readouts, before and after, posted along with the question. @psimm, do you have a copy of that to post on here. Who installed the upper control arms? Were any other components done at same time? Did you do it? Before or after bought? Pic of the front steering would help, too.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a helper hold a tape measure with you and check the toe in. Measure about 6 inches up from the ground in a certain groove on the front side of the tire and repeat for the back side. Post your measurements here.

Also, since you seem to be having weirdness in reverse as well, check it again after backing up in a straight line without going forward. Basically do a measurement after driving straight forward to a slow stop and then the same in reverse.

The numbers should be different slightly, but if they are WAY off, then there's something being overlooked on the suspension.

OP
OP
P

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

One of these days I am going to get a surprise and when some member posts that they are having tire wear, handling or steering problems and had it aligned, they will have a copy of the readouts, before and after, posted along with the question. @psimm, do you have a copy of that to post on here. Who installed the upper control arms? Were any other components done at same time? Did you do it? Before or after bought? Pic of the front steering would help, too.
Sorry to disappoint and not give you a pleasant surprise. Don't have the before readouts, I'll have to search for the afters. Local mechanic installed the UCAs in conjunction with the wheel hubs/bearings, as my tools are all in storage while stationed in the Middle East. Work was done after purchasing the truck. Doing some other reading/research, I'm guessing the outer tie rods may be an issue, as the steering will "fall" into full lock during sharp turns.

OP
OP
P

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a helper hold a tape measure with you and check the toe in. Measure about 6 inches up from the ground in a certain groove on the front side of the tire and repeat for the back side. Post your measurements here.

Also, since you seem to be having weirdness in reverse as well, check it again after backing up in a straight line without going forward. Basically do a measurement after driving straight forward to a slow stop and then the same in reverse.

The numbers should be different slightly, but if they are WAY off, then there's something being overlooked on the suspension.
Toe in should be good, as it tracks straight and true. It's the low speed, sharp turns that are destroying the tires. In reverse, it goes straight back without resistance. Backing up and turning is what causes it to nearly come to a stop. When I'm in a dirt lot (which there are lots out here in Bahrain), you can see the front wheels drag when they're turned in reverse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20