Scrubbing/binding while turning at near full lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Here's one for you... I can't make heads or tails of it

When I got my truck it had some free play from both inner tie rods and the lf outer tie rod.

I replaced inner/outer tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, and idler arm bracket with moog parts. They're a bit stiff, takes more effort to turn the wheels while in the air and the car is reluctant to return to center.

I got it aligned by a friend as I don't have access to an alignment racks. It's the new hunter Hawkeye laser stuff, pretty precision.

Well since replacing everything I can turn my wheel 1 turn in either direction. Any more than that and the front wheels bind and skip. It feels similar to it being in 4x4. It's an odd sensation as it feels like my turning radius increases when the tires bind and skip. It did it before the alignment as well but I had assumed it was a toe issue.

Alignment angles are all good, dead in the center of spec. I've verified that I am NOT in 4wd. I can climb under and the front driveshaft spins freely. I can jack up the front, 1 side at a time and spin the wheel freely.

I'm not entirely sure where to go from here

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
A picture at this angle would be SUPER helpful :)

14608807_10202238031510403_4748793449130590766_o.jpg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No help, but following. Mine skips/hops all over the place when turning but I'm 2WD. On brand new concrete it acts like it's in ice/snow when pulling into a parking spot. On a gravel lot, it damn near jumped into the car in the next spot over. It also won't hold an alignment...they can get it set, go for a drive around the block and it's already out. Over the past three years it's had 2 sets of pitman/idler arms replaced and all tie rods. I've taken it to two shops and they all claim there's no play anywhere.

I'm slowly replacing parts on my own. Next step is new UCA's...but I doubt that will do anything for it. From there, I'll get yet another set of pitman/idler and a steering gear box. Hope you get some help that might perhaps help me.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try and do that tomorrow, but it will look different I suspect as I'm 2wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442