Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not going to like them, I still have my set somewhere, simply they look cheesy but just my opinion. I am pretty confident at the end of the day you will turn in to ceramic boot
They look like the red ones I have now but instead of fiberglass these supposedly have titanium blended in and are a different color. Are yours Design Engineering brand? And ceramic boot? Show me this...but it’s not the boots that burn, it’s an inch or two up from the boots where the wires lay on the headers due to being too long.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look like the red ones I have now but instead of fiberglass these supposedly have titanium blended in and are a different color. Are yours Design Engineering brand? And ceramic boot? Show me this...but it’s not the boots that burn, it’s an inch or two up from the boots where the wires lay on the headers due to being too long.
Yes mine is DE, but I thought its your boot that gets fried. I can’t get a good picture but the wires I sent you pictures of in previous post boots sticks past the headers tinny bit and the length of wire is just perfect. I believe Matt @67RS427 went through few sets of wires as well now he is running Accel without problems, at least he was when we last chatted.

Last edited:

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes mine is DE, but I thought its your boot that gets fried. I can’t get a good picture but the wires I sent you pictures of in previous post boots sticks past the headers tinny bit and the length of wire is just perfect. I believe Matt @67RS427 went through few sets of wires as well now he is running Accel without problems, at least he was when we last chatted.
I'm still running Accel Ceramic boot wires... They have been great and not a single issue. No problems at all with the wires burning, the boots are long enough to stick past the header. No boot covers needed. The problem with boot covers when you have large tube headers is that they typically do more harm than good. They usually lay on or touch the header which won't burn the boot cover but it directly transfers the heat to the wire/boot. It cooks the wire like an oven eventually making them brittle. My ceramic boots are nowhere close to touching my headers and it leaves a nice air gap which boot covers don't do.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...I went back out and checked misfires again and noticed #7 was racking up a few, like 14-18 per 100 cycles which isn’t terrible but not great either. Of course that’s the rear driver side. Real fun to get to for me, almost need to pull the wheel and inner fender. I pulled the wire, slid the heat shield back and there’s a place on the wire where the insulator is burned a bit. I put it back on with a lot of grunting, turned a bit so the burned spot is facing away from the header. The wires spec’d for the LQ4 are just too long. So I emailed Taylor to see if there’s a shorter set. They don’t list lengths on their website which is stupid IMO. Looks like Im still chasing the damn burned wire problem and Im pretty damn tired of it.
I got wires spec'd for my 05 GTO I believe. They are short. I was wondering why you were having to zip tie them. I have a unique problem though with the hump lol...3167025f698759acea2dc32e94f885de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got wires spec'd for my 05 GTO I believe. They are short. I was wondering why you were having to zip tie them. I have a unique problem though with the hump lol...3167025f698759acea2dc32e94f885de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Those are what I want. Perfect length and they're Taylors. Do you have a p/n?

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest trying the Accel ones mentioned above... I had bad luck with my Taylor wires. They didn't have a positive lock on either end and I had random misfires. No issues since I went with the Accel ceramic boot wires. I made mine to a custom length, very very short.